Which content review books are best for each subject? :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureMD4294

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN!

I have recently started studying for the MCAT, and I have "give and take" 5 months. I have a Kaplan book set, TPR book set, EK (for Physics and Chem), AND of course access to Khan Academy videos! I am dying to know what the best source is for each subject. I suck at reading long books and much prefer KA videos, BUT I am working my way through TPR Bio/Biochem book at the moment. My goal is to eventually get to KA videos, but I would LOVE to know what you guys think is the best material for each subject, including CARS practice?!

Thanks in advance,

I'll appreciate any advice haha

Members don't see this ad.

The best thing for CARS practice is definitely the official AAMC material (Question Banks and Full Length Practice Exams). I found that 3rd party material for CARS just didn't ask questions the same way AAMC does and thus weren't that helpful. Another thing that helps with CARS in general is trying to just read more whether it's scientific articles, news articles, or books, I found that not only increases your reading speed but helps with reading comprehension.

Reactions: 1 users
First time: all Kaplan + AAMC + some KA (CARS, psy/soc) + AK Lectures (separation techniques/NMR/IR)

This time: EK + some old Kaplan + AAMC + 100 page KA doc for psy/soc + AK Lectures

So far, I like the detail of EK but have gone to Kaplan to help understand a little better especially with orgo since it was taken over 6 years ago

This question gets asked really often. Do a search and you'll see many suggestions. The one that is most common with people who got the top scores is the following.

Chem/Physics/Organic - - - TBR (best passages and shortcuts)
CARS - - - TPR or EK (both are about the same, but nothing beats AAMC)
Biology - - - TBR or EK (TBR if you need more detail; EK if you know your stuff well)
Psych/Soc - - - TPR (get the 300-page reddit doc and use KA passages)

I used the ones in bold as my primary resource and I could not have been happier with three of my four scores. I really hate CARS and I don't think what I used had anything to do with my low score.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey SDN!

I have recently started studying for the MCAT, and I have "give and take" 5 months. I have a Kaplan book set, TPR book set, EK (for Physics and Chem), AND of course access to Khan Academy videos! I am dying to know what the best source is for each subject. I suck at reading long books and much prefer KA videos, BUT I am working my way through TPR Bio/Biochem book at the moment. My goal is to eventually get to KA videos, but I would LOVE to know what you guys think is the best material for each subject, including CARS practice?!

Thanks in advance,

I'll appreciate any advice haha

KA has everything and it’s free. It’s the sheer volume that can be daunting though.

Heard great things about TBR. EK/KA combination works well for every section as EK has excellent test taking strategies and great tips. UWorld also has excellent passages to practice from. Heard good things about Jack Westin’s daily CARS practice as well.

Someone care to explain the following
TBR
TPR
KA
EK
KA

TBR- the Berkeley review (they were good for the older mcat but many say they are good for the current as well)

TPR - the Princeton review

KA - khan academy

EK- exam Krackers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user