Which course is more beneficial in prepping for the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
J

JThomas88

Hey everyone,
I was just curious as to which upper level courses are beneficial for the MCAT? Im certain im takin Organic Chemistry, Physics, Cell Bio but im in sort of a toss up between two other courses. I'm currently creating my schedule for the Spring and I just wanted to know which course should I consider taking Molecular Biology or Biochemistry? or both?
--Your insight will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I personally think both courses would be worth taking because that sort of exposure will help in medical school regardless. That being said, I'm sure there is material from both molecular biology and biochemistry that might show up on the MCAT.. maybe more molecular biology though. I would have to go back to my old MCAT stuff to remember.. but both courses are very relevant to medical school.

I've taken both and I got more out of molecular bio, but that's just me. Having had biochem will help on the MCAT and in med school. The one course that I took undergrad that helped a ton with the MCAT was human anatomy (it was a nursing course that I had to petition into at my school). It was great and I learned anatomy, physiology and histo all at the same time. :) If that's an option, I would recommend it!

Members don't see this ad :)
My recommendations would be(between your two choices), Mol. Bio.....but, if you can take at least 1 semester of Biochemistry before med school, do it. Keep in mind that whatever you decide to take for the MCAT might help in med school, and on that note, I think that all pre-med students should take a semester of microbiology. And I remember a few MCAT questions being based(in some form or another) on material I learned in Micro. Good Luck.

I would take molecular bio. (probably my favorite undergrad class). It will not reinforce your o chem for the MCAT the way that biochem will, but you should be well prepared for all your chem with basic and o-chem, but be sure and read the chapters at the back of your o-chem book before the MCAT. There should be a couple chapters preping for biochem classes. This will be plenty. And I also agree with PalCareGrl, the physiology portion of A&P is almost a must. I had a gas exchange in the lungs question and uninary output question on my MCAT in 98. Good Luck!