1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Which courses will give you a leg-up for med school?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Asumi, May 6, 2001.

1. Asumi

Asumi Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey guys, got one more for ya,

Are there any classes that you wish you had taken in undergrad that could have made life a little easier for you in med-school? In the MSAR I have noticed that schools list Biochem, statistics, genetics, MCB as suggested courses. Any advice on taking extra classes that would make me that much more prepared for the brutality?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Pepe

Pepe Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Asumi,
    I wish I had taken Neuro-anatomy, Histology, and Embryology. At my school Embryology was taught as part of Gross Anatomy and comes at you very fast. I sure wish I would have known the difference between ectoderm and endoderm before the first day of school. I did take Biochem and Metabolism as an undergrad and it made life much easier the first semester of school. I will tell you though that you don't NEED any of these classes, but they will, or at least should help you.

4. gower

gower 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

You should already have learned "ectoderm" and "endoderm" in HS biology, or certainly by the end of a first year biology course. By that time you should have known that "endo" means "inner" and "ecto" means outer, and "derm"=skin/layer/covering. Many common roots of words/terms in the sciences come from Latin and Greek. You do not need to learn those languages, but you pick up the meanings of the commonest terms from taking elementary biology and chemistry courses. If you deem it necessary, you can buy a small scientific dictionary, which will give you the roots as well as definitions of terms. French, Italian, Portugese and Spanish speakers might recognize Latin roots more easily than others because those languages derive from Latin. The names "Latino", often used for Hispanics, and "Latin America" are based on the Latin roots of Spanish. Several other European languages also have Latin roots, courtesy of the Roman Empire. English itself, while primarily a Germanic language, (the Angles and Saxons were Germanic tribes) has words of French derivation introduced by the Norman Conquest (the Normans were orginally Germanic-speaking Vikings who settled in Normandy, then under the French King). Enough already.

5. abbeydesert

abbeydesert Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm just finishing up an undergrad course in Embryology and frankly, I think it was a complete waste of time in terms of preparation for med school. We spent most of our time talking about fruit flies, frogs, and worms. The focus seemed largely on experimental developmental biology, particularly at the molecular level- we spent a lot of time talking about things like bicoid mRNA in Drosophila or Hox genes in mice. We barely glossed over the chapters on endoderm, mesoderm, and ectoderm, so we never studied the development of specific structures as it relates to the gross anatomy (which is what I suspect the focus is on in med school) Though it was certainly an interesting course, I can't fathom how it could be much use in med school.
    OTOH I also just finished up undergrad anatomy- and though I know it barely scratches the surface of what I'll have to know next year in Gross, I feel like I will be that much ahead of the game next year.

6. Pepe

Pepe Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Let me be a little more specific on the embryology I was talking about. Our college offered a Human Development class which would have been excellent preparation for medical school. That truly was a fascinating and insightful lecture on the history of language and culture though. I was only using endo, and ecto as an example.

7. docuw

docuw Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

My Developmental Bio class was just as abbeydesert described as well. bicoid, hox, beta catenin, germinal discs, blah blah. I hated it. Oh well. At least I could tell a mother fruit fly why her son has wings in place of its halteres when they visit my clinic. :D

8. sanford_w/o_son

sanford_w/o_son locl jnky-gota thred man?
    5+ Year Member

bVmp!

l3T chA05 Re1gN!

9. boilerbeast

boilerbeast suPURDUEper
    7+ Year Member

I wouldn't stress about it too much, but if you get a chance, I would go ahead and take biochem, metabolism, molecular biology, and physiology. It's true that you don't NEED these things before med school, but it really is nice to have a little bit of background. The information comes at you very quickly and in huge volumes and it's a lot less overwhelming the second time around.

Don't stress yourself out, though. Take these courses pass/fail or audit them. You will get challenged enough in med school. :)

10. BlondeCookie

BlondeCookie Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

In order of importance:

1) Human Anatomy or Physiology
    2) Biochemistry
    3) Microbiology

Human Embryology & Histology aren't that big of a deal. Just my opinion that Anatomy & Physiology are far more important. Though, if you have the time then take the Embryo + Histo if you like to after Anatomy.

11. tupac_don

tupac_don Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Embryology helps, biochemistry helps only if its medical biochem, regular biochem is not of much use, maybe only the Kreb's cycle/glycolysis stuff. Physiology helps, anatomy probably helps, but med anatomy is probably one of the most comprehensive, but any anatomy is helpful just to get you used to that type of thinking. Histo is useful and probably neuroanatomy. But it will defiently give you a good base to build off. Not that you can't do well without having the courses, but trust me having a good base, allows you to relax on some parts and really learn the new info that you never seen. So it helps from that point of view. Good luck.

12. matthew45

matthew45 Rock Chalk.
    7+ Year Member

I second this motion with a few qualifications. I would pick Physio over Anatomy and I would put micro about biochem.

13. SteveUTexas

SteveUTexas hmmm.....
    7+ Year Member

I think one course that has been overlooked by the previous posters is IMMUNOLOGY. Learn it and learn it well, it comes up over and over again.

14. Iwy Em Hotep

Iwy Em Hotep The Welcomer
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    In all seriousness:

1) A public speaking course.
    2) A journalism or other class where you learn to write concisely.
    3) As many foreign language classes as possible.
    4) An art and/or sculpture class.

You don't need more science. It helps a *little*. Any advantage that you have will be short-lived. Being confident with presentation, and being able to write quickly and well will help a *lot*.

15. OSUdoc08

OSUdoc08 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Medical Student
    -Physiology :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    -Biochem :thumbup: :thumbup:
    -Genetics :thumbup:

16. OSUdoc08

Removed

Medical Student
    I'm not sure how a sculpture class will give you a "leg up" in medical school.

I had a great advantage over other students in my school by having completed paramedic school.

17. humuhumu

humuhumu nukunuku apua'a
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Wow, this thread is almost 5 years old. At this point the OP's probably in med school or pursuing some other dream.

Anyway, I second anatomy and/or physiology.

18. fantasty

Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'd say no to stats (I like stats but it doesn't help at all)

I'd say yes to:
    physiology
    human genetics
    nutrition & metabolism classes within biochem
    micro

Spanish & public speaking are actually really good ideas for the clinical years.

19. fantasty

Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    sanford w/o son is on a quest. check the threads in the lounge :)

20. remedios

remedios Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I took the first year of medical school in college. It really helped with the first year of medical school.

Seriously though, if you finish your premed requirements and have spare time, take some classes you were always interested in but never got around to take. Once you start medical school it'll much harder to pursue your other interests.

The reqs should be adequate in preparing you for medical school. And in terms of having "a leg up", I would say that the information you learn in med school is a lot more in depth than a college course of similar materials. Your performance will largely be influenced by your abilities as a student/test taker in general rather than an extra course in anatomy or physiology you took.

21. Iwy Em Hotep

Iwy Em Hotep The Welcomer
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    This might be partly biased, since you do want to do EM. :)

But I think art classes help you when it comes to doing 3D rotations in your head for surgery or endoscopy. Some people might be naturally good at this, but then again, some people are naturally good at lots of things.

22. lattimer13

lattimer13 good boy!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i agree. :thumbup:

also if you have no idea of how to use the keyboard i would take a typing class as lots of places have electronic health records...it will save you a ton of time. once you get into med school you'll have the rest of your life to learn and live medicine.

23. CanIMakeIt

CanIMakeIt Fellow
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Neuro-anatomy
    Physio
    Anatomy
    Biochem
    Bacteriology/virology/immunology
    genetics
    embryo
    histo

but you don't need to take any of these to do good though .....

edit: I just rrealized this thread is over 5 yrs old :laugh: :laugh:

24. sanford_w/o_son

sanford_w/o_son locl jnky-gota thred man?
    5+ Year Member

25. logos

logos 100% Organic
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    In order of importance:
    Anatomy <---I didnt have this and therefore was behind (=more work)
    Immunology <---having had this was an advantage
    Biochem <----I barely had to study for this

I think most other classes won't help much...ie genetics...because med school genetics is 1/3 basic genetics and 2/3 memorizing genetic diseases.

26. fun8stuff

fun8stuff *hiding from patients*
    15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The art and sculpture class would be a waste of time. Althouh the other classes might help some once you ge to third year, they won't give you a leg up... 1 & 3 would be the most important out of these.

Classes that would be of ore help would be to take more science as people have said...
    medical biochem
    medical embryology
    medical anatomy & biochem
    histology
    pathphysiology
    medical genetics
    molecular biology
    medical nutrition
    Neuroscience
    endocrinology
    microbiology
    immunology
    etc

I have taken most all of my med schools first year classes and I would say it has helped tremednously. I have taken many of the classes above.. the least helpful were the ones listed 1-4.

27. OSUdoc08

Removed

Medical Student
    I disagree with this. I took anatomy and it was not helpful. Physiology was the golden course.

28. Gimlet

Gimlet Cardiac Anesthesiologist
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Looks like you all have become unwitting pawns in Sanford w/o Son's reign of chaos.

29. bigred001

bigred001 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
  30. OSUdoc08

Removed

Medical Student
    Exactly. Those are always the 2 courses I recommend. :thumbup: :thumbup:

31. fpr85

fpr85 "newbie"
    5+ Year Member

This thread is five years old! Why do you think sanford's account was put on hold? hehe.

32. fun8stuff

fun8stuff *hiding from patients*
    15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    why would u get put on hold for bumping old thread? i didn't realize it was TOS violation... what's so wrong with it?