1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

which cycle to apply? What to do this summer?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by dentbent, Dec 29, 2008.

1. dentbent

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I am currently attending a community college, my GPA is 3.9 and I am also in the honors program at the CC. I have taken Gen Bio, Gen Chem, Calculus 1 and 2 and all the other electives. My calc professor told me that it is better to take science classes at 4 year school. He also said that it might not look that good on my transcript that I took a lot of sciences at a CC. After that conversation I stopped taking sciences at the school.Honestly, I was a little disheartened hearing that and regreated taking Gen Bio and Gen Chem. I am transferring to a 4 year school this spring, and plan to finish my Orgo and other higher level bio classes at the university. I started shadowing the dentist, I volunteer at the hospital, and at a special kids recreational club. I am confused as to when should I apply to dental school? Should I start my application next year, or the year after next year? Second question is that this summer I have two options to chose from, should I do summer internship at a university or should I take up a volunteer work(dental related) in a developing country? It's critical choice if I want to start the application next year as to which one which shine more on my application. I was more attracted to take up the volunteer work as it's something special, going and serving an underpriviledged population, and as for research, I did research for a semester at the CC.
    I apologize for the length of my post! Please put in your opinions, thoughts and advise?:)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. DROCKINDAHOUSE

DROCKINDAHOUSE UTHSCSA c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Your professor is right. All dental schools prefer that your science courses be taken at a university. However, since you are transferring in soon you should be able to take a significant portion of them there.

Most people apply to dental school either after they graduate from college or between their junior and senior years. The reason for this is that a bachelors degree is practically required.

Either summer activity should strengthen your application. You should remember though that dental-related volunteering or shadowing is a very crucial part of your resume as it shows that you have a knowledge of the profession.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. somethinpositiv

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Continue shadowing, get 100 hours. Do whatever you want during your summer, as long as you are passionate about it and can talk about it during an interview. Take DAT, get 19+ (based on your high grades, if they drop because of the 4-year college then get 20+ DAT). CC credits are fine for a lot of schools, though Tufts won't accept them. The rest of the schools may make you retake gen chem/bio or make you take higher level classes, but they'll make you take them after you are accepted, so don't worry about it until the time comes. Apply on May 15th of your Junior Year. Good luck.

4. dent2009

dent2009 YEEE BOI
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Volunteering in a third world country is great and commendable but you don't have to travel overseas to show your commitment to dentistry and helping people. Why not save your $$$ (I know they can cost a pretty penny or two) and find a dental clinic around your area? People tend to forget there are plenty of underprivileged/poor without dental care here on our soil. If you can find a clinic to volunteer in, then you can do your summer internship. On top of that, do some shadowing if you haven't and continue to volunteer in dental related areas if you can, but if not, then any type of volunteer will be good.

5. dentbent

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Should I contact the dental schools that I am interested and ask if they want me to retake the Gen Bio and Gen Chem? I am majoring in Biochem and if I get good grades on higher level Bio classes, wouldn't that obviously mean I have my basics clear?

6. DROCKINDAHOUSE

DROCKINDAHOUSE UTHSCSA c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Why would you have to? Unless you plan to apply to Tufts or others that don't accept CC credit I wouldn't see the need to. From everything I've heard from admissions people if you make lower grades on pre-rec courses or take them at CC's, making A's on higher level equivalent courses proves that you have the necessary knowledge. For instance, if you make a C in general biology 1 then it would be beneficial to make an A in cell biology.

7. DrReo

DrReo "Thread Necromancer"
    10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Your DAT score will be a better indicator.

8. diplo123

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Just transfer to a university ASAP.