which D.O. schools are big on research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

desam

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is CCOM one of them?

Members don't see this ad.

In what way? The school doing research or how the school will view research you did as a Pre-med?

From what I read, OUCOM is big on research.

Members don't see this ad :)
i meant the DO schools which have good research institutions and resources.

is CCOM one of them?

I would pick any school which offers a combined DO/PhD degree. An example of this would be OSU-COM.

From a literature search, it seems like TCOM has the most published work from what I've read. They also had a recent large research grant.

I would understand that OSU-COM has a serious in-state preference (it is Oklahoma State after all). Fantastic school, really hard to get into if you are OOS. I would not worry tooo much about research at the med school level - you will do some during residency. Hold your horses for now unless you plan on being a research physician (then totally different attitude obviously). Call some schools you are interested to see if they offer research opportunities for medical students. Good luck!

is CCOM one of them?

Compared to other DO school, no, CCOM does not really have a lot of research opportunities. However, you can always take time-off between years 2 and 3 to do research

I would pick any school which offers a combined DO/PhD degree. An example of this would be OSU-COM.

From a literature search, it seems like TCOM has the most published work from what I've read. They also had a recent large research grant.

TCOM is also the home to the ORC - Osteopathic Research Center. They have a lot of research going on about OMM, as well as other projects. They have been increasing their NIH and other private grants for research for the past several years.

TCOM, as well, is quite selective regarding instate-vs-out of state residents. It is mandated by the Texas legislature that TCOM take at least 80% in-state residents (I think the percentage is correct), but in recent years it has been more like 90-95%. We did have a couple of people from out of state in my class, however, so it is not impossible.

jd

I understand the UMDNJ-SOM school is big on research. in the last three years they have doubled the size of their research facilities and they have a host of published projects.

VCOM claims they are big on research, don't know if this is true or not.

VCOM claims they are big on research, don't know if this is true or not.

VCOM is affiliated with VA Tech, which is a very large research institution.
Check out the link below for more details. There is also a Vet School at VA Tech, so it seems as though there is considerable collaboration between the Medical school, Vet school, and the research going on at VA Tech.

I know that they have a D.O./PhD program, but I do not know the details on that.

http://www.vcom.vt.edu/admin/research.html

Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
TCOM is also the home to the ORC - Osteopathic Research Center. They have a lot of research going on about OMM, as well as other projects. They have been increasing their NIH and other private grants for research for the past several years.

TCOM, as well, is quite selective regarding instate-vs-out of state residents. It is mandated by the Texas legislature that TCOM take at least 80% in-state residents (I think the percentage is correct), but in recent years it has been more like 90-95%. We did have a couple of people from out of state in my class, however, so it is not impossible.

jd

TCOM actually has to take 90% in-state so obviously it's not an extremely high chance of getting in for an out-of-stater, but not impossible. They do have quite a bit of research going on all the time. That's not to say they emphasize research over everything else, but the opportunities are there.

jd

Another one of the issues that makes TCOM a difficult school to get into is that it is not part of the AACOMAS application, but instead the TMDSAS application. Being the only DO school on that Texas application, a large percentage of Texas MD applicants just apply to all of the schools in Texas, even if they never had an intention to go to a DO schools.

Those gunner 4.0 types are in the application mix and thus less competitive students will often never hear from the school.

The average MCAT school was like 28 or 29 the year I applied to TCOM. I actually heard from some MD schools that are top 20 in USNEWS, but didn't get a peep from TCOM because of this issue.

NYCOM has research oppertunties for students as well. They are planning to expand their research facility and are going to be setting up a DO/PHD program in the future.

Another one of the issues that makes TCOM a difficult school to get into is that it is not part of the AACOMAS application, but instead the TMDSAS application. Being the only DO school on that Texas application, a large percentage of Texas MD applicants just apply to all of the schools in Texas, even if they never had an intention to go to a DO schools.

Those gunner 4.0 types are in the application mix and thus less competitive students will often never hear from the school.

The average MCAT school was like 28 or 29 the year I applied to TCOM. I actually heard from some MD schools that are top 20 in USNEWS, but didn't get a peep from TCOM because of this issue.

Yeah, I think we had 4 people out of 125 that were out-of-staters... but we had a kick-ass class, overall.

I applied to mostly Tx schools - of course I was in-state at the time. I think our stats were MCAT 26 avg and GPA around 3.5. I started there in '02... every year I was there the average went up. Not sure what it is now. They used to have a link on the website with the year's averages.

Bottom line, if you are really interested in research, you can do it. You just might have to work a little harder to do it and you may have to do a bit more legwork to set it up.

jd

KCUMB is very big on research. They recently built a brand new 46,000 sq. ft. research facility to carry out biolevel 1-3 research as well as all phases of clinical trials. They're research focus is HIV and Cancer.

For my contribution to this thread, I will elaborate on NYCOM's research opportunities.

1) Teaching/Research Fellowship -
You stay an extra year in school in between your 3rd year of clerkships to
-teach (if selected to a specific subject, ex. anatomy, path, omm, neuroscience, etc.)
-do research with anybody you want in school and outside of school. One of our more ambitious fellows did research in school AND outside of school at a nice hospital in manhattan. There is a ton of freedom with this fellowship.
-you also get 2 years of tuition for free
-and a master's degree in neuromusculoskeletal medicine

2) we have a research grant program for students during their 1st year summer. It is a $1000 grant for you to do research ANYWHERE. Provided that you have a mentor that agrees to take you in. Most students decide to do it at NYCOM. Maybe 25% do it outside of school ranging from places such at NYU Medical Center, Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York Hospital, and other sweet places.

3) If you want to take part in research during the school year. Basically any faculty member will take you in. Its basically if you put the effort in, then you will get a good experience.

3) Notable big research opportunities that are not widely known about NYCOM is its involvement in Parkinsons, Alzheimers and Epilepsy research. This is of course in addition to the obvious OMM, Anatomy, Pathology, etc. research.

All in all, NYCOM is very supportive of research. However, this should be the case in all Osteopathic schools right now.

KCUMB is very big on research. They recently built a brand new 46,000 sq. ft. research facility to carry out biolevel 1-3 research as well as all phases of clinical trials. They're research focus is HIV and Cancer.

I will also put my plug in for KCUMB. While they aren't as big into research as many MD schools, they are putting more resources towards it and I only see the program growing in the future.

For my contribution to this thread, I will elaborate on NYCOM's research opportunities.

Wow, that's actually pretty impressive. Appreciate it. Does anyone know if this is typical among other schools? I haven't seen any other programs that focused on and encouraged research so well. I applied to NYCOM this round, but wasn't looking at it very favorably in my set of schools. With this new info though, it's liable to move up in my ranks. I did a cursory search of their somewhat ghetto site and couldn't find much on research. Has anyone else had further luck?

Wow, that's actually pretty impressive. Appreciate it. Does anyone know if this is typical among other schools? I haven't seen any other programs that focused on and encouraged research so well. I applied to NYCOM this round, but wasn't looking at it very favorably in my set of schools. With this new info though, it's liable to move up in my ranks. I did a cursory search of their somewhat ghetto site and couldn't find much on research. Has anyone else had further luck?

NSU offers a 3 year scholarship if you do a research fellowship. So you go to school for 2 years, do a 1 year fellowship, and the next 2 clinical years are free. They also do the same for the OPP fellowship.

1) Teaching/Research Fellowship -
You stay an extra year in school in between your 3rd year of clerkships to
-teach (if selected to a specific subject, ex. anatomy, path, omm, neuroscience, etc.)
-do research with anybody you want in school and outside of school. One of our more ambitious fellows did research in school AND outside of school at a nice hospital in manhattan. There is a ton of freedom with this fellowship.
-you also get 2 years of tuition for free
-and a master's degree in neuromusculoskeletal medicine

2) we have a research grant program for students during their 1st year summer. It is a $1000 grant for you to do research ANYWHERE. Provided that you have a mentor that agrees to take you in. Most students decide to do it at NYCOM. Maybe 25% do it outside of school ranging from places such at NYU Medical Center, Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York Hospital, and other sweet places.

3) If you want to take part in research during the school year. Basically any faculty member will take you in. Its basically if you put the effort in, then you will get a good experience.

3) Notable big research opportunities that are not widely known about NYCOM is its involvement in Parkinsons, Alzheimers and Epilepsy research. This is of course in addition to the obvious OMM, Anatomy, Pathology, etc. research.

All in all, NYCOM is very supportive of research. However, this should be the case in all Osteopathic schools right now.
I just completed the summer research program at NYCOM mentioned above and had an excellent learning experience, and am hoping now to get published with the work I did. If you want to do research at NYCOM, you will definitely have the opportunity.