Which dental school should I apply to and why?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddsshin

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello... I want to apply about 15 to 20 dental schools. I have schools in my mind, but I also want to hear from you guys!:) Which school and why??
I am a Cali resident and bio major from UCI. my GPA and sGPA is about 3.2ish
my DAT is 27TS 24AA 21 PAT. I have done 1 year of research, tutored ochem in for one year as grade units and have good LORs.
Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

i think you should go to harvard or UPenn!.. your DAT is hella good!!!! .. i guess my reason would b.. not everyone can say they go to Harvard! haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
why don't you tell us what schools and your reasoning, then will provide feedback. That's usually the norm. lol

why don't you tell us what schools and your reasoning, then will provide feedback. That's usually the norm. lol

Agreed, I dont want to feel like your employee. Tell us what you were thinking and then we can go from there. Otherwise apply to every school.

I am from Ca, so Ca school is prefered, but if not, whatever. I am going to apply for HPSP so cost of school does not matter.
If I had to choose from UCSF, USC, UOP, UCLA or Loma Linda, where should I go? Do you guys think I can make it to UCLA?
How about Upenn? Upenn is my dream school.

I am from Ca, so Ca school is prefered, but if not, whatever. I am going to apply for HPSP so cost of school does not matter.
If I had to choose from UCSF, USC, UOP, UCLA or Loma Linda, where should I go? Do you guys think I can make it to UCLA?
How about Upenn? Upenn is my dream school.
I'm a Cali resident too trying to do HPSP as well. If you have two years of Bio you should definately apply to UoP. There are a number of HPSP students at UoP as well, plus it's only three years so you only will have 3 year obligation after graduation. UCLA and UCSF are a bit competitive even for Cali residents, but you have good DAT scores so you should definately try those schools.

Maybe you can put all the names of the dental schools in a hat and randomly draw 15-20 of them.

i think you should go to harvard or UPenn!.. your DAT is hella good!!!! .. i guess my reason would b.. not everyone can say they go to Harvard! haha.

:cool:

Yeah, but his GPA is not that good, especially for Harvard.

Not good for either-Upenn or Harvard. But the OP should apply if interested in those schools. You never know who they might like.

harvard is probably out of reach but you should apply to penn (my friend got accepted with a low gpa ad high DAT like yours last year)

why don't you look at the school websites and read up on them to see which ones appeal to you, if you meet their requirements, etc. also check out some of the other threads. there's a lot of great info if you take the time to do some research.

hi. i graduated from uci and tutored in ochem too! go to uop and i'll see you next year :]

Haha, go go fellow Anteater! ZoT! I just graduated from Bio at UCI as well. If you're looking for out of state, I'd say apply to add Pitt, Columbia, and Penn to your lists. Your AA and TS completely make up for the GPA. I was in a somewhat worse situation, 3.01 sGPA, and my DAT completely turned my application around for the better as well. Maybe I'll see you at the Pitt interviews next year ;p

yea, I think I am going to apply to Upenn, Columbia, Case, UOP, UCLA, UCSF, Loma Linda, USC, Boston, Pitt, Temple, Tuft, NYU, Buffalo, Indiana...