Which dental school would be stronger for Clinic Oriented Dentistry?

fc3slover

10+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2008
Status
Hi Guys,

I am a new member here and I'm having a difficult time deciding which dental school to go. I have a choice b/t Columbia and NYU and I heard that NYU is more clinically oriented than Columbia due to its large hospital.

Which of the two do you guys think is a better choice?

I have one more question about Specialty. To pursue speciality, when do you decide that you want to become certain kind of a dentist? I heard that you decide it after two years in dental school but I also heard ppl saying that you need to get 2~3 years of extra education after graduating dental school.

Thank you very much guys :)

sajjy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 25, 2007
Status
Dental Student
Hi Guys,

I am a new member here and I'm having a difficult time deciding which dental school to go. I have a choice b/t Columbia and NYU and I heard that NYU is more clinically oriented than Columbia due to its large hospital.

Which of the two do you guys think is a better choice?

I have one more question about Specialty. To pursue speciality, when do you decide that you want to become certain kind of a dentist? I heard that you decide it after two years in dental school but I also heard ppl saying that you need to get 2~3 years of extra education after graduating dental school.

Thank you very much guys :)
How can you decide right now?..its not Dec 1st yet, do you have acceptances from both places?
But Columbia..hands down...
Nyu is not at all comparable to columbia.

harrygt

10+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2008
LA
Status
Pre-Dental
Being of sane mind, no one would choose NYU over Columbia. You can compare them in any way you want, and Columbia still wins.

N

NAVY DDS 2010

You know it is funny you the predents are talking so highly of Columbia about their clinic skills. I will not try to judge them on their clinic skills based on my opinions. I will simply regurgiate what I was told recently by a Oral Surgery interviewee who is a 4th year at Columbia. He felt didactically, he was far above the curve when it comes to dentistry, but clinically he felt that the school really didn't prepare him as well as he felt other schools do. So, to hear you guys, who are not in dental school yet who really don't understand what qualifies as being clinically prepared, make such bold statements is rather amusing. Now, I realize this is just the word of one individual, but it is funny to hear how someone who is obviously near the top of his class (in order to get an interview for oral surgery) feel the school doesn't emphasize clinic skills enough state something completely opposite.

misstoothfairy

smileeee!
10+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
I interviewed at Columbia, and I have a family member that graduated from NYU (things have changed since so can't say anything about that). So based on my columbia interview, I was told that they are not as clinical as Temple (exact words). And a few of the students told me that the dental students are treated second to the med students (as an answer to what are things you dislike about this school).