Which dental schools are more research-oriented?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentist2008

UF class of 2008
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if there is a list of dental schools that do a lot of research. I am currently at FSU which is pretty much research oriented. I am doing some research in the biology department that will go on untill next summer so I would like to apply to research dental schools too.

Members don't see this ad.

The best way to figure that out is by looking at who get's the most funding. The NIDCR branch of the NIH does most of the "dental" related funding but there's lots of private companies (ie Oral B and U. Iowa) and other governmental branches that give money. Anyways, here's the listing of NIDCR funding to institutions and dental schools over the past few years.

NIDCR funding

UCLA and Harvard...definately are really prestigious for research...
I think Michigan is also...but i don't know...I just remember people at UCLA really pushing me to go to their interview cause of that... :)

funding might contriubte to how well the schools does...but by far it's the paper that the school gets published that matters :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, UCSF is number one again for 2003. LOL, many schools have been bragging about their research and stuff, like Columbia and UCLA. And looking at their grants make me feel sorry for them.
My lab alone has almost 2 millions. Half of the whole UCLA.

I just wanted to say that the original poster is AWESOME for posting this question!

Not enough people are interested in academic/research dentistry, so it is nice to see those who are following their passions!

Good luck!