Which Dental Schools don't accept out-of-state residents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalxgirl

Reaction score
Can someone make a list of dental schools that only accept in-state students, and out of state students should avoid?

The schools that I've come across than only accept in-state residents:

East Carolina
Mississippi

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone make a list of dental schools that only accept in-state students, and out of state students should avoid?

The schools that I've come across than only accept in-state residents:

East Carolina
Mississippi
All Texas schools are a waste of time.

I’d also say University of Washington is a waste of time. ****unless you’re a part of the WICHE states

UMKC - unless you’re in their list of 5 OOS states

Reactions: 1 user
For most people, yes, texas is unfriendly to OOS applicants. Texas law states that no more than 10% of a class can be OOS so including the new dental school in El Paso, The approximate maximum of spots open to OOS is 35 spots open out of 340-350 seats. The number cant be more, but it can definitely be less because schools can choose to have no OOS if they want.

Avoid Puerto Rico and I think north Carolina as well, (could be south not sure)

Members don't see this ad :)
For most people, yes, texas is unfriendly to OOS applicants. Texas law states that no more than 10% of a class can be OOS so including the new dental school in El Paso, The approximate maximum of spots open to OOS is 35 spots open out of 340-350 seats. The number cant be more, but it can definitely be less because schools can choose to have no OOS if they want.

Avoid Puerto Rico and I think north Carolina as well, (could be south not sure)
I think MUSC South Carolina would love OOS to come and pay 110/yr for tuition haha

Getting a copy of the guide to dental schools from the ADEA that lists every dental school as well as stats of people that applied, demographics etc is a really valuable tool. I think there are screenshots around SDN

Reactions: 1 users
Depending on your competitiveness don’t let states that have 10% OOS limit keep you away, you’d be surprised how few people you may actually be competing with for those spots...give yourself an opportunity if your interested even if the numbers may show lower chances

Depending on your competitiveness don’t let states that have 10% OOS limit keep you away, you’d be surprised how few people you may actually be competing with for those spots...give yourself an opportunity if your interested even if the numbers may show lower chances
This, y'all need to shoot your shot. My fiance and I are both from South Dakota and applied to UMKC even though we aren't from one of their 5 agreement states. We both got accepted with in state scholarships and I received an additional 80k scholarship on top of that. We were on the fence of whether or not we should apply there or another private school with high OOS numbers, but it ended up being the best decision we made.

Reactions: 2 users
This, y'all need to shoot your shot. My fiance and I are both from South Dakota and applied to UMKC even though we aren't from one of their 5 agreement states. We both got accepted with in state scholarships and I received an additional 80k scholarship on top of that. We were on the fence of whether or not we should apply there or another private school with high OOS numbers, but it ended up being the best decision we made.
What made you pick UMKC? Was it purely their affordability, or facilities/access to specialties etc?

Average accepted OOS students to UT Houston (about the same as allTexas schools) had a 3.88 and 24. If you apply through TMDSAS instead of AADSAS you have a better chance ands it’s only $200 for the three apps. Worth the shot if you have a 3.8 and 23.

What made you pick UMKC? Was it purely their affordability, or facilities/access to specialties etc?
Affordability. I would've preferred going to school in Nebraska because it's closer to home, but I would be paying over triple to attend Creighton or UNMC. But hey, at least I'll be able to pay off my debt in about 1 year once I start working.

I second what clark said. Google an old copy of the adea guide. And see how many spots were offered at each school to residents from your state.

I second what clark said. Google an old copy of the adea guide. And see how many spots were offered at each school to residents from your state.

I can't find any links for any ADEA guide aside from the ones you have to pay for.
Is there a site that offers old guides for free?

See pages 47-49. It’s an old one, but the demographics will be more or less the same.

All Texas schools are a waste of time.

I’d also say University of Washington is a waste of time. ****unless you’re a part of the WICHE states

UMKC - unless you’re in their list of 5 OOS states
Do i have a shot at texas schools with a 3.95 gpa and 24 Dat?

Do i have a shot at texas schools with a 3.95 gpa and 24 Dat?
It’s not solely about stats, but it could put you in the running. Make sure the rest of your application is good and you’ll probably have a chance.

for this cycle?
you have a good shot at getting an interview at least. Average OOS at houston last year was 3.88 and 24. Make sure to fill out TMDSAS instead of AADSAS, you'll have a better chance this way because they want to see all three tmdsas essays compared to the aadsas one.

Last edited:
use tmdsas and apply on the first day
Could someone explain what tmdsas is? I assume its the application service for texas schools. Does it open the same day as AADSAS?

Could someone explain what tmdsas is? I assume its the application service for texas schools. Does it open the same day as AADSAS?
google is your friend...

Texas Medical Dental application something something. Similar to addsas but it opens a month earlier, has three essays, and you pay a flat $200 fee for the three instead of $X per school.