aaa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

somedudehere

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
aaa

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The newest schools still learning how to efficiently deliver a curriculum.

LMUCOM, BCOM, KYCOM ( as low as 60% in 2006 I believe, ~70% around 8 years ago)

That chart should be shared anytime a DO student suggests "converting" all DO schools to MD. As if that doesn't cost tens of millions of dollars and will likely result in 50% USMLE pass rate unless matriculant standards are raised.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
LMUCOM, BCOM, KYCOM ( as low as 60% in 2006 I believe, ~70% around 8 years ago)

That chart should be shared anytime a DO student suggests "converting" all DO schools to MD. As if that doesn't cost tens of millions of dollars and will likely result in 50% USMLE pass rate unless matriculant standards are raised.
You say that like it's a bad thing. Let the **** schools rot or prove their worth.

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users
Because some DO schools accept students who shouldn’t have ever been step foot on a medical school campus (think of 490 mcat and 2.5gpa students).

Throw a class of harvard caliber students at ANY DO school and the pass rate would easily be close to 100%.

• Hmm
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
I don't know why you're so upset when I'm just pointing out the facts. We can only partially blame the school for these outcomes. There are always students who personally choose to slack off and don't work hard. Medical school is like having a 9-5 job and then some. Everyone is responsible for their own success (asking their school for learning resources - that's a crapshoot sometimes, reddit/sdn - figuring out what resources like Zanki/ B&B etc).

I have friends at these schools and also other friends at "Top Tier" DO schools and I find that the former just want to get by doing the bare minimum (there are always a handful of outliers who perform exceptionally). For example, I struggled when I started my SMP (<2.5sGPA from undergrad) and had to quickly figure out Zanki, Costanzo, etc. and saw 1/4 of my class flunk out which made me realize it could be me before I turned things around and started getting 4.0s. When I talked to a friend at one of these schools about UFAPS they brushed it off and bragged about just passing the exams by cramming the slides 3 days before (family of doctors so he's not oblivious to what he should be doing). He struggled on board exams because of this behavior which was only amplified because lots of his peers have the same mindset.

An SMP classmate of mine had a straight 4.0 and when he got his MD acceptance 1st week of class he was allowed to drop out of the SMP but chose to finish the semester and managed to not only 4.0 but was #1 in the toughest classes in the program. It's this type of intrinsic discipline that is lacking in some individuals.

Anyways, I wasn't trying to start an argument, just simply pointing out real numbers. If you want to talk about it more you can DM me.
No one is angry or arguing...

Because some DO schools accept students who shouldn’t have ever been step foot on a medical school campus (think of 490 mcat and 2.5gpa students).

Throw a class of harvard caliber students at ANY DO school and the pass rate would easily be close to 100%.

Ya I always assumed it was a little but of this and a little bit of a new school trying to figure out wtf to do with itself. I think the only group of students it actually impacts though are the ones who are borderline who have the potential but need the environment. Anyone who is self-sufficient could go to any medical school and they’d be fine.

There is no such thing as tiers among DO schools in the eyes of PDs.

That's nothing more than some myth used by pre-meds and OMS-1s to validate their self-worths.

Reactions: 7 users
There is no such thing as tiers among DO schools in the eyes of PDs.

That's nothing more than some myth used by pre-meds and OMS-1s to validate their self-worths.

You'll be shocked to learn that isn't true.

Much like Goro, we know good schools and bad schools, and new schools. And a little google-fu about a school can be incredibly elucidating.

Reactions: 12 users
You'll be shocked to learn that isn't true.

Much like Goro, we know good schools and bad schools, and new schools. And a little google-fu about a school can be incredibly elucidating.

Yup. A couple quick snapshots of a conversation our program had regarding the cluster that is 2020 application cycle:

"Well, we're pretty happy with how resident ____ turned out, so we'll have no trouble prioritizing DO applicants from there."
"Everyone from _____ has been great over the years, no questions here."
"______? Must be a new school?" --> "Yeah, I don't think they've graduated too many classes. Dunno about them."
"I heard about _____ happening at _____. That's kinda scary."

Stuff like that. Obviously none of this will override someone with an out-of-the-park vs. absolutely terrible profile. But it's this kind of benign, water-cooler level chit chat that moves the cycle along in certain directions.

Reactions: 10 users
where do people stand on ARCOM? My experience has been pretty good so far.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user