Which DO schools are looked at most favorably for residencies?

baratheonfire

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
2+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I know this question has been asked a few times but I can't find a clear answer beyond PCOM (which is also contested).
I have a 3.47 cgpa (3.46 sgpa) and a 520 MCAT (130,130,130,130), so my stats are pretty far beyond the stats for most DO schools. EC's are quite good, but not earthshattering.
I've applied to 37 MD schools but since I'm not feeling so confident about that, I'm thinking about applying to some DO as well.
I want to leave my choice of residency as free of constraint as possible, so which schools are best for that?
>inb4 all of them
I'm pretty sure several DO schools have significant trouble placing their grads in competitive residencies, especially ACGME ones.
Thanks in advance

Carbon090

Coffee pls
7+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2010
Somewhere with coffee
Status
Medical Student
Going DO no matter what school will hinder your residency choices (it really depends on what you want to do).

IMO you can be a successful DO no matter where you go (mostly), but the state schools and the older-established schools are your best bet.

BeachBlondie

Put some tussin on it!
10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I don't know if it's the school so much as it is the applicants themselves. I have a friend who recently graduated from--what SDN considers--a low-tier DO school and matched into an ACGME neurosurgery program.

Medical training in the U.S. is so strictly standardized that there shouldn't be too much variation in content between schools. The only DO drawback is that the schools themselves may not be affiliated with institutions that house some of the competitive specialties. Therefore, larger allopathic school graduates who may have come to know residency directors for a couple of years--owing to their school's affiliation--have an edge over someone who was only on-site for an elective month. But, I have friends who have matched ortho, derm, and--as I mentioned--neurosurgery out of DO just fine. Did they work incredibly hard? Yes. Is it impossible? No.

Reactions: edgerock24

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
This is an impossible question to answer. Which residencies? AOA? ACGME? Primary Care or other? Competitive or uber-competitive?

Try getting into med school before worrying about residency.

My kids have gone into gas, IM, rads, ENT and gen surgery, to name a few. KCU has sent people to Mayo dermatology. Yes, you're not going to NYU IM, but you can specialize, if you want to be an "ologist".

I know this question has been asked a few times but I can't find a clear answer beyond PCOM (which is also contested).
I have a 3.47 cgpa (3.46 sgpa) and a 520 MCAT (130,130,130,130), so my stats are pretty far beyond the stats for most DO schools. EC's are quite good, but not earthshattering.
I've applied to 37 MD schools but since I'm not feeling so confident about that, I'm thinking about applying to some DO as well.
I want to leave my choice of residency as free of constraint as possible, so which schools are best for that?
>inb4 all of them
I'm pretty sure several DO schools have significant trouble placing their grads in competitive residencies, especially ACGME ones.
Thanks in advance

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
Thanks in advance
Nobody cares. That is the honest truth, I don't know why people have such a hard time believing it. The only time the name of your DO school may matter is if you are applying to the residency programs right next door. A great example of this is LMU, they are usually mentioned as one of the "bottom tier" DO schools and they just had someone match ACGME Ortho. In the ACGME world a DO is a DO, everyone needs to get that in their heads. Yes, even from PCOM.

You have to remember that the reality is that a lot of DO students aren't aiming for Derm at Mayo. Go to the school that you fit at best, kill the boards, do some research, make some connections, and see where your chips fall. That is the trick to getting a competative residency, it is all on you as a DO.

I do want to add that I think applying to DO schools this cycle would be dumb for you with those stats. If you don't get into MD this year then apply to both next year

edgerock24

5+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2012
Status
Medical Student
I don't know if it's the school so much as it is the applicants themselves. I have a friend who recently graduated from--what SDN considers--a low-tier DO school and matched into an ACGME neurosurgery program.

Medical training in the U.S. is so strictly standardized that there shouldn't be too much variation in content between schools. The only DO drawback is that the schools themselves may not be affiliated with institutions that house some of the competitive specialties. Therefore, larger allopathic school graduates who may have come to know residency directors for a couple of years--owing to their school's affiliation--have an edge over someone who was only on-site for an elective month. But, I have friends who have matched ortho, derm, and--as I mentioned--neurosurgery out of DO just fine. Did they work incredibly hard? Yes. Is it impossible? No.
Beach, was pulling for you to get into FIU. Just wondering, did you apply to Nova/any DO schools as well? (sorry for the off-topic comment).

OP, in the past, the DO schools with the most competitive residencies affiliated with them naturally lead to their graduates being accepted into these programs (i.e. PCOM). The merger will, perhaps, change this soon. In your situation, I would recommend that you apply to DO schools where you would enjoy living and/or doing a residency at. Many DO graduates end up becoming residents at programs within the state/region of the school that they graduated from.

acapnial

5+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
>inb4 all of them
Thanks in advance
Obviously you did a little bit of searching. You did find a clear answer, you just haven't accepted it quite yet. PD's have about the same knowledge of individual DO schools as the average American does of individual African countries, and there is no secret list of good and bad DO schools. Even a school's status as an "established" or a state school doesn't mean anything when it comes time to apply to residency.

Reactions: AnatomyGrey12

BeachBlondie

Put some tussin on it!
10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Beach, was pulling for you to get into FIU. Just wondering, did you apply to Nova/any DO schools as well? (sorry for the off-topic comment).

OP, in the past, the DO schools with the most competitive residencies affiliated with them naturally lead to their graduates being accepted into these programs (i.e. PCOM). The merger will, perhaps, change this soon. In your situation, I would recommend that you apply to DO schools where you would enjoy living and/or doing a residency at. Many DO graduates end up becoming residents at programs within the state/region of the school that they graduated from.
D'awwww, thanks internet friend! I'm always very humbled by how many people have followed my process :)

This is the first year I'm applying DO (after having been waitlisted in allo for two years), which is funny because I actually started this whole process, many years ago, wanting to go the DO route. It sounds crazy, but I'm applying to one school this cycle (UNECOM). Applying this cycle was a last-minute decision -- I was intending to apply, full bore to MD and DO, next year with a new MCAT (it's expiring) and having already finished my Master's. But, some personal things came up and I am throwing my hat into the ring in Maine. :xf: If it doesn't work out, then I will proceed as originally intended.

JoeUSA

7+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
Nobody cares. That is the honest truth, I don't know why people have such a hard time believing it. The only time the name of your DO school may matter is if you are applying to the residency programs right next door. A great example of this is LMU, they are usually mentioned as one of the "bottom tier" DO schools and they just had someone match ACGME Ortho. In the ACGME world a DO is a DO, everyone needs to get that in their heads. Yes, even from PCOM.

You have to remember that the reality is that a lot of DO students aren't aiming for Derm at Mayo. Go to the school that you fit at best, kill the boards, do some research, make some connections, and see where your chips fall. That is the trick to getting a competative residency, it is all on you as a DO.

I do want to add that I think applying to DO schools this cycle would be dumb for you with those stats. If you don't get into MD this year then apply to both next year

I agree. No one cares where we get our DO degrees from unless you are next door.

The fact that a DO from LMU was accepted into an ACGME neurosurgery program demonstrates that the concept of ranking DO schools is useless. Getting into any DO school is an accomplishment to be proud of. Think about the number of students who did not get in.

BeachBlondie

Put some tussin on it!
10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I agree. No one cares where we get our DO degrees from unless you are next door.

The fact that a DO from LMU was accepted into an ACGME neurosurgery program demonstrates that the concept of ranking DO schools is useless. Getting into any DO school is an accomplishment to be proud of. Think about the number of students who did not get in.
Agreed.

It goes something like this:

You should never feel like you've accomplished something less than an allopathic matriculant. Ever. You're practicing medicine, you're savings lives, you're making a difference. Shame on the idiots of SDN who find it necessary to crowdsource a sense of inferiority because you're, what?...practicing freaking medicine?!! Honestly, if it wasn't for the mouth-breathers of the internet telling you that getting a DO is somehow a lesser achievement, you probably wouldn't bat an eye! Absolutely be proud of being a doctor, regardless of the initials behind your name!

>inb4 all of them
Thanks in advance
The answer to your question is quite simple: don't waste your time or money applying to any DO schools with a 520 on the MCAT. If you don't have any MD interviews by October and are in danger of having to reapply you can consider applying DO but be aware that your options will be significantly limited in most fields when it comes time to apply to residency.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Oct 27, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
All the DO schools are pretty much the same once you enter the real world, some schools perform better than others in matching though, a few schools that have high entrance stats have mediocre match lists.

Ho0v-man

2+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2014
Status
Medical Student
You could apply anywhere in like January with a 520 MCAT and be fine. Don't set your money on fire yet!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

TheOther

2+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2015
Status
Resident [Any Field]
As it's already been stated, a DO is a DO. Residencies won't care which DO school -- it's more on the applicant.
That said, you might want to take a gander at this year's match lists: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/match-list-2016.1189268/
Disclaimer: don't pick your schools based on the list. It's just to show you that most, if not all, DO schools have some phenomenal matches.