Which DO schools give their grads the highest odds of matching into a specialty residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Very variable. Depends on specialty, academic or community. For IM i know Emory and Vandy are really diificult if not mear impossible. Ive heard Tulane and LSU NOLA as well

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

So I guess that would make Emory's PM&R residency a long-shot for a DO graduate as well. :/

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe there just wasn't much interest in the first place from DO graduates?

I couldn't give you anything more than a total guess, I don't know anything about the field or the institution.

So I guess that would make Emory's PM&R residency a long-shot for a DO graduate as well. :/

I am no expert in the field of PM&R, but have an interest in it. From what I have read in the PM&R forums, Emory is up there in difficulty to match (not quite top tier though). I believe it is doable especially if you see a couple of DOs in the current resident roster. One has to remember that DO medical student are not at the same caliber as MD students. So if you look at the charting outcomes at pg. 231 you will see that there are more 240+ USMLE scoring US MD students than independent applicants (these can be IMGs or DOs).

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Charting-Outcomes-2014-Final.pdf

DO students just have to straight up do better than MD students at an equal level (not the same for most other fields where DOs have to be far better than their MD counter parts to match). The top programs: RIC/NU, Mayo, UW, UMDNJ/Kessler, and Baylor (Houston) all currently have DOs in them. The only one that doesn't currently have any is Harvard/Spaulding (did have in the past), but a DO student did match their recently from TCOM.

Reactions: 1 user