Which DO schools have their own hospitals/rotations that don't send you all over the country?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpaceHamsterBoo

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Topic...

Members don't see this ad.

KCOM has Northwest Regional Medical Center attached to the school I believe. It has rotations in other states, but the vast majority are in MO. I just googled Northwest Regional Center and its located on 315 South Osteopathy St. hahahaha

Members don't see this ad :)
ACOM has SAMC

Yeah but another poster told me that only like 13 or something students stay there to rotate. Still gives a good opportunity to find a mentor in the pre-clinical years and potentially for research and stuff. They do have AMEC and all rotations are in Alabama.

OP the only schools with actual teaching hospitals are KCOM, PCOM, MSU, and OSU I believe. All the state schools have super strong affiliations though at great hospitals. Most DO schools just have affiliates with the newest/weakest have loose affiliations with systems farther away. You should be prepared to move for rotations though no matter the school, it is just how the odds shake out. Even if it is just one move to your core site.

I will also add you have made like 4 threads on 2 days on topics that you could research yourself. Maybe do some of your own research..

Yeah but another poster told me that only like 13 or something students stay there to rotate. Still gives a good opportunity to find a mentor in the pre-clinical years and potentially for research and stuff. They do have AMEC and all rotations are in Alabama.

OP the only schools with actual teaching hospitals are KCOM, PCOM, MSU, and OSU I believe. All the state schools have super strong affiliations though at great hospitals. Most DO schools just have affiliates with the newest/weakest have loose affiliations with systems farther away. You should be prepared to move for rotations though no matter the school, it is just how the odds shake out. Even if it is just one move to your core site.

I will also add you have made like 4 threads on 2 days on topics that you could research yourself. Maybe do some of your own research..

Glad you got involved in this convo I've got a f/u question.

During my LECOM interview they mentioned their teaching hospital several times (millcreek) but I never hear about it here in the forums.

Is just because millcreek is a much smaller hospital or does hating on LECOM just the norm here

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

During my LECOM interview they mentioned their teaching hospital several times (millcreek) but I never hear about it here in the forums.

Is just because millcreek is a much smaller hospital or does hating on LECOM just the norm here

LECOM hating is the norm. And usually by people who don't go here and are just passing on rumors that other people have told them.

It is funny, because LECOM does have its own hospital, Millcreek, which does have such a lot of rotation spots. Between it and one other nearby site, there are like 70+ spots available. But the majority of the class wants to go somewhere further afield, and would like to avoid filling those seats. Everyone wants to go someplace with less snow, or closer to their family, or whatever. There is just no pleasing everyone, I guess.

Agree with @Promethean. MCH isn't the most exciting of teaching hospitals, but it exists. If you wanted to live in one place for four years, you could pick the Erie campus for pre-clinical years and rank MCH as your #1 for rotations, and you'd almost definitely get it. (St. Vincent is in Erie, too, but your chances of getting it aren't quite as guaranteed)

Ah yes I just straight up forgot about Millcreek, no LECOM hate here. Yes it is LECOM's teaching hospital. My list was just me trying to remember all of them off my head.

Since I applied to LECOM and I'm trying to get as much info on all my school's rotations I have a question for @Promethean and @ortnakas

Which sites are the most desirable for LECOM-E? Which ones have greatest access to ward based rotations in decent sized hospitals (200+ beds)? About how many students get these slots?

KCU Joplin campus will have a teaching hospital (Freeman Health) and the majority of rotation site are in MO.

RowanSOM has Kennedy Hospital literally next door (less than 400 ft from the library). Kennedy is pretty much the SOM teaching hospital, but Rowan Cooper has Lourdes which is a major Camdem hospital that RowanSOM makes strong use of. In the wider area of NJ there's also Virtua and the CarePoint system, but I think those are just affiliates.

I'm almost certain that Michigan and UNTCOM have their own teaching hospitals, but all these are state schools so no surprise there.

Ah yes I just straight up forgot about Millcreek, no LECOM hate here. Yes it is LECOM's teaching hospital. My list was just me trying to remember all of them off my head.

Since I applied to LECOM and I'm trying to get as much info on all my school's rotations I have a question for @Promethean and @ortnakas

Which sites are the most desirable for LECOM-E? Which ones have greatest access to ward based rotations in decent sized hospitals (200+ beds)? About how many students get these slots?

Most desirable depends on your point of view. I am eager to stay in Erie because that makes the most sense for my financial and family situation. I'm going into Family Med, so audition rotations aren't as big a deal as they might be for someone else. I plan to try to do at least one or two away rotations at facilities that have residency programs of special interest to me, but if that doesn't happen at all, no biggie. Other people have different career goals and/or geographic preferences that make other sites more desirable for them. I can't speak to anyone else's preferences.

Here is the list of possibilities. http://lecom.edu/academics/the-coll...-do-lecom-students-go-for-clinical-rotations/

Some of those are spots I wouldn't want to get sent to under any circumstances (ask me some time about my unreasonable dislike of Ohio!) but they are someone else's first choice. No accounting for taste.

I think LECOM has the best of both. If you want to stay in Erie, they have their own hospital and lots of seats. If you want to go somewhere else, they probably have an affiliate there.

PCOM doesn't have its own hospital anymore, but it does have clinical campuses. One is close enough where you wouldn't have to move and there are others that are in central Pennsylvania where you would definitely have to move between second and third year but the majority of your rotations would be in the same hospital/system. It's not guaranteed that you would get a spot at a clinical campus, but it's my understanding that the clinical campuses are expanding and that the third-year class this year had enough spots for everyone who wanted one.

MSU has the best clinical education out of any osteopathic school by far. They have a ridiculously high portion of AOA GME as well.

I fee like I am one of the only people that sees schools sending you all over the country for rotations as a (+). I want to travel around and see cool places!

I fee like I am one of thitnly people that sees schools sending you all over the country for rotations as a (+). I want to travel around and see cool places!

It is hard to learn when you are changing your environment every month. Additionally its hard to make relationships with mentors when you are a transient tourist in a hospital system.

Reactions: 1 users
It is hard to learn when you are changing your environment every month. Additionally its hard to make relationships with mentors when you are a transient tourist in a hospital system.

+1 it's hard to ask for a LOR when you only rotate with someone for 4 weeks then never see them again

Ah now I see. I guess that could be problematic. Never really thought about that.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

You also generally don't have a lot of time to actually see the cool places when you're on rotation.

On my away rotation last month all I saw was: the hospital, my friend's apartment, Walmart, three local restaurants (one for takeout only), two coffee shops, QDoba, and Jimmy John's. Only one of those places was more than five minutes away from the hospital.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users