Which DO schools to shoot for, and chances of acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orlandoc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Aim for the new schools, also your state school NOVA. Do you have a DO letter?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest:
LECOM
UIW
NYIT-AR
ACOM
ARCOM
RVU-UT
VCOM-AL
VCOM-SC
LMU
KYCOM

The low sGPA is of concern, and would get you autorejected at my school, and others.

Realistically, what are my chances at a DO school in the US? And which ones are most realistic for me to apply to?

Residence: Florida
cGPA: 3.36
sGPA: 3.15
MCAT: 504
ECs: Lots (and I mean tons) of volunteer work (not necessarily health related), one shadowing experience with a neurologist for about a year, board positions on 2-3 different student organizations, membership/involvement with undergraduate on campus medical organizations

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest:
LECOM
UIW
NYIT-AR
ACOM
ARCOM
RVU-UT
VCOM-AL
VCOM-SC
LMU
KYCOM

The low sGPA is of concern, and would get you autorejected at my school, and others.
Goro does your school require a DO LOR?

@Goro Would it be more favorable were the cGPA and sGPA reversed?

Last edited:
Only school that might not be interested is DMU -- interviewed there and they asked me (with a 504) why MCAT was so low fyi if you were thinking of that school

3.5 Cgpa 3.6 s gpa ugh

Last edited:
Only school that might not be interested is DMU -- interviewed there and they asked me (with a 504) why MCAT was so low fyi if you were thinking of that school

Yeah my DMU interview was basically a 30 minute slam session of my sGPA. I mean I know a 3.2x is low but not so low that you should just hammer away about how I'm not fit for med school.. (the old lady in the interview literally said this, I was so mad after that)

Also want to add that my sGPA didn't come up in any of the other interviews I got. Definitely turned me off to DMU even though one of my best friends is there.

Edit: DMU is still a good school though OP and I feel my experience is somewhat of an outlier.

Reactions: 1 users
The experiences of others vs myself at DMU help illustrate the importance of having a balanced application. For example, I applied with a 3.26/3.45/507 and never once was asked a single question about academics or MCAT performance. Why? Maybe I just had super chill interviewers, but probably because I had a wealth of experiences to talk about. Several years work experience providing care to patients, unique professional roles, and leadership positions to name the bulk.

The vibe I got from the interviewers was that I was very competitive for DMU and they were skeptical I would choose to attend if offered a seat at another well-regarded school. But I didn't feel this way at all, mainly because I loved DMU from the second I set foot on campus and could definitely see myself going there.

TL;DR: If you have other interesting things to talk about, show enthusiasm and humility, and can carry on a good conversation, your academics can quickly become just another subject and not necessarily the focal point of the whole interview.

DMU is a great school. The only thing brought up about academics was how I went from a 3.2 to a 3.8 avg and how I pulled off a 9 pt increase in MCAT scores, just asking how I "recalibrate." My interviewers weren't the warmest but they had some good questions

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Realistically, what are my chances at a DO school in the US? And which ones are most realistic for me to apply to?

Residence: Florida
cGPA: 3.36
sGPA: 3.15
MCAT: 504
ECs: Lots (and I mean tons) of volunteer work (not necessarily health related), one shadowing experience with a neurologist for about a year, board positions on 2-3 different student organizations, membership/involvement with undergraduate on campus medical organizations

I have almost your exact stats and I ended up getting 7 II. If I were you, I would apply to all of the DO schools in the Southern part of the USA and if you want, all of the MD schools in FL. Just look at my signature and you'll see where I got the II. I applied to almost all of the DO schools and all of the MD FL schools (except UM and UF) and although it was expensive, definitely beats having to redo the process.