Which drug induces increased levels of VMA in urine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stacker

n = 1
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which one would induce increased vanilla mandelic acid in urine?
fluphenazine
benztropine
amantadine
fluoxetine
imipramine

Members don't see this ad.

anything that leads to increased norepinephrine will lead to increased VMA in the urine. (similarly, increased dopamine --> increased HVA in urine, increaed epinephrine --> increased metanephrines in urine). all of these metabolites can be interconverted via COMT, etc. see: http://homepages.gac.edu/~cellab/chpts/chpt7/Images/fig7_6.gif

of the ones you listed, i would pick imipramine. in addition to being norepi reuptake inhibitors, TCAs have anti-adrenergic effects and you might see a compensatory increase in catecholamines to maintain homeostasis.

Not 100% sure but I would guess imipramine.

Because it is a TCA, it would block the reuptake of NE and serotonin, leading to increased NE levels, and VMA is a breakdown product of NE.

Which one would induce increased vanilla mandelic acid in urine?
fluphenazine
benztropine
amantadine
fluoxetine
imipramine

-fluphenazine is a SRI, leads to increase Serotonin and then possibly 5-HIAA
-benztropine is an anticholineric and antihistaminic treatment for Parkinsonism, competes with Ach which physiologically antagonizes the indirect/negative feedback pathway in the basal ganglia, and is also used to ameliorate antipsychotics (which increase nor/epinephrine levels)... I don't think it actually raises the levels of endogenous ligands
-amantadine is a weak Glutamate/NMDA-R antagonist used to treat parkinsonism, and thus will increase dopamine release/level, to be metabolized into HVA, but you'd expect some rise in VMA also
-fluoxetine is an SSRI (Prozac) which can be expected to increase levels of Serotonin and thus 5-HIAA
-imipramine is a tricyclic which inhibits reuptake of a bunch of ****, most notably NE. NE metabolizes to VMA, so I guess this is the best answer.

Since Fluphenazine and Fluoxetine are similar, cross those out.. Benztropine is an antagonist not a reuptake inhibit, and then so is Amantadine, although apparently that induces a feedback loop to increase Dopamine. Imipramine everyone remembers as tricyclic for mostly NE, so that would be the best answer.