Which EC To Keep? Tutor, Mentor, Tutor x 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDforMee

Sweet Cheeks
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a free tutor for Chemistry/Physics at 2 different community colleges in my area; I have the option of starting in a student mentor position at my University soon, though (I'm a graduate student working on an MS in Pharmacology and Toxicology).

Due to scheduling, it's going to be hard to make all three.

Honestly, I feel like I make the biggest impact with tutoring, but doing it in 2 different places might seem redundant or like I'm doing it for money, and this is a year that I have to look really good on paper since I'm applying in June. My friends think that "student mentor" sounds better than "community college tutor," also.

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would generally agree that student tutor sounds better than just tutor. Do you think you can handle free tutor at one place and student mentor at your university (so you would just give up a free tutor at one place). ? I think that would be your best bet if you can handle it

Mentorship for 6 months would not look much impressive or significant.

It is always nice to do some mentorship with payments, but either way, it won't make much differences. Do what you enjoy or feel comfortable in your schedules.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Mentorship for 6 months would not look much impressive or significant.

It is always nice to do some mentorship with payments, but either way, it won't make much differences. Do what you enjoy or feel comfortable in your schedules.

Payments? I am doing all of this for free. Hmm...

Last edited:
What payments?

I am doing all of this for free; I like helping community college students.

You said something about doing it for money, so it was probably misunderstanding.

The pay issue is totally a non-issue. That's not what important here. The question is can you handle working (tutoring or mentoring) at three places and the answer is no. Pick the two that suit you best. Your real question may be: should I take this mentoring position because it looks good and the general consensus is that you shouldn't bother starting something new 6 months before you submit your application.