Which ECs to Consolidate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HurricaneKatt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a bit of a dilemma. I have too many ECs to put into AMCAS and I need to merge some or knock some off, but I'm not sure which ones to get rid of...

The ones I have from last cycle are:
Art
Reading
Dance
Employment @ Pilates Studio (I was employed there for over 4 years)
Volunteer Work (Misc volunteering)
Premed Club
AK Surgery Center Shadowing
Volunteering at the Pediatric Hospital
Undergrad Thesis Research
Horseback Riding
Forum Modification/Mentoring
Honors College

I want/need to add:
Employment at Vet Clinic
Shadowing at Alaska Native Medical Center
Shadowing at Pediatric Clinic
Tutoring
Volunteering with a Therapeutic Horseback Riding Group (this is going to be starting in June, so I will probably merge it with horseback riding)

I know it seems redundant to have so many shadowing entries, but the number one thing that both schools I interviewed at told me I needed to do was get more shadowing. ANMC is really hard to get into to shadow, and has been a super neat experience and really helps because it involves rural medicine and my top 2 programs are focused on rural med. The pediatric shadowing is important because it's extended. They wanted to see shadowing over an extended period of time most specifically, and I have regular shadowing set up indefinitely at the peds clinic. The surgery shadowing I wouldn't mind merging with something else, but which one??

The two employments are pretty important too. The Pilates studio I worked at all through college and I learned a lot about preventative health and alternative medicine there. The vet clinic is new, something to add to my app that wasn't there before, and it's another side of medicine so to speak.

The forum moderating/mentoring is something a bit unique because it's a ferret forum focused on natural diet. It actually did come up in my interviews and one interviewer in particular seemed to really like it and was very interested, so I feel it sets me apart even if it's not a "big" EC like volunteering or research...

Anyways, any thoughts or tips would be appreciated. I don't want to leave something important out, so I know I need to merge some things. Just looking for thoughts on which EC's might be best to merge...

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

So I have a bit of a dilemma. I have too many ECs to put into AMCAS and I need to merge some or knock some off, but I'm not sure which ones to get rid of...

The ones I have from last cycle are:
Art
Reading
Dance
Employment @ Pilates Studio (I was employed there for over 4 years)
Volunteer Work (Misc volunteering)
Premed Club
AK Surgery Center Shadowing
Volunteering at the Pediatric Hospital
Undergrad Thesis Research
Horseback Riding
Forum Modification/Mentoring
Honors College

I want/need to add:
Employment at Vet Clinic
Shadowing at Alaska Native Medical Center
Shadowing at Pediatric Clinic
Tutoring
Volunteering with a Therapeutic Horseback Riding Group (this is going to be starting in June, so I will probably merge it with horseback riding)

I know it seems redundant to have so many shadowing entries, but the number one thing that both schools I interviewed at told me I needed to do was get more shadowing. ANMC is really hard to get into to shadow, and has been a super neat experience and really helps because it involves rural medicine and my top 2 programs are focused on rural med. The pediatric shadowing is important because it's extended. They wanted to see shadowing over an extended period of time most specifically, and I have regular shadowing set up indefinitely at the peds clinic. The surgery shadowing I wouldn't mind merging with something else, but which one??

The two employments are pretty important too. The Pilates studio I worked at all through college and I learned a lot about preventative health and alternative medicine there. The vet clinic is new, something to add to my app that wasn't there before, and it's another side of medicine so to speak.

The forum moderating/mentoring is something a bit unique because it's a ferret forum focused on natural diet. It actually did come up in my interviews and one interviewer in particular seemed to really like it and was very interested, so I feel it sets me apart even if it's not a "big" EC like volunteering or research...

Anyways, any thoughts or tips would be appreciated. I don't want to leave something important out, so I know I need to merge some things. Just looking for thoughts on which EC's might be best to merge...

Thanks! :)

Remove reading (I'm assuming you're referring to reading as a hobby?). Usually you'd group that in a "hobbies and interests" entry, but since you have a lot of activities and need to remove things, that would be the first to go.

Art and dance - is this for fun or have you presented/performed your work publicly? If it's the first, you can make an entry for "Hobbies and Interests" and include reading if you want. If it's the latter, you can make an entry for "Artistic Endeavors" and possibly combine both in there.

Combine all your shadowing into one entry, then in the description, write a brief sentence or two about each one, what specialty you shadowed, how long, etc.

Combine the 2 things that have to do with horseback riding.

I didn't count but I think this leaves you with 15 or less. If it's less than 15, uncombine some things that I said to combine (probably separate the shadowing and describe it more, or if art and dance deserve more explanation, make them 2 separate entries).

Remove reading (I'm assuming you're referring to reading as a hobby?). Usually you'd group that in a "hobbies and interests" entry, but since you have a lot of activities and need to remove things, that would be the first to go.

Art and dance - is this for fun or have you presented/performed your work publicly? If it's the first, you can make an entry for "Hobbies and Interests" and include reading if you want. If it's the latter, you can make an entry for "Artistic Endeavors" and possibly combine both in there.

Combine all your shadowing into one entry, then in the description, write a brief sentence or two about each one, what specialty you shadowed, how long, etc.

Combine the 2 things that have to do with horseback riding.

I didn't count but I think this leaves you with 15 or less. If it's less than 15, uncombine some things that I said to combine (probably separate the shadowing and describe it more, or if art and dance deserve more explanation, make them 2 separate entries).

Agree with this. Lump shadowing together, and lump your hobbies together, and you should have plenty of space. I think you will even have room to separate out that one shadowing at ANMC that is different from the other two. :luck:

Agree with this. Lump shadowing together, and lump your hobbies together, and you should have plenty of space. I think you will even have room to separate out that one shadowing at ANMC that is different from the other two. :luck:

That doesn't leave a lot of space to talk about stuff, but that should work. Because the 2 schools I interviewed at want more shadowing though, wouldn't it be best to keep the 3 (or at least 2) shadowing entries separate? I guess so it's more obvious, and so I can say more about each individually...?