Which EKG book to read?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RussianJoo

Useless Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am about to start medicine on monday and I have no clue how to read EKGs. I saw two book at the local book store, but I am not sure which to get.

1) The only EKG book you'll ever need. 5th edition, by Malcom S. Thaler.

OR
2) Rapid ECG Interpretation. 3rd ediotion, by M. Gabriel Khan.

thank you for your comments.

Members don't see this ad.

I would highly recommend Rapid Interpretation of EKG's by Dubins. It's a bright orange book.

Thank you, I know and I have that book ordered, my book store doesn't cary it, and I kind of wanted to read it by monday. Out of the two i have listed above would you be able to recomend on over the other?

Members don't see this ad :)
only ekg book youll ever need is a good read....many students at my school love it (inlulding myself)

my vote is for Thaler's text. More detail than Dubin's, but not enough to get bogged down as a student.

Thaler

As the person who posts below me will say, Dubin is slow paced... up to a point, where you get blindsided with the complexity. It lacks in logical progression.

Last edited:
Dubin is helpful, but a little childish and slow paced. Here is an increadible website.

http://www.blaufuss.org/

quality ECG's with onscreen tools to measure intervals

none of these books will help you on the wards as much as one book:

12 lead ECG by Garcia

Dubin is terrible and overrated and the lack of 12 lead orientation will confuse the pants off of you.

Dubin is terrible and overrated and the lack of 12 lead orientation will confuse the pants off of you.

I think the vast majority of the medical community would disagree.

Dubin is the standard to which all others are compared. You can't beat the rhythm interpretation.

as a visiting cardiologist once said to our class, "Read Dubin once, then through it away!".

He was right. It's a good book to orient you, but doesn't come close to explaining the complexity of correctly interpreting EKGs

Dubin, while a quick and easy read is at the level for an MSIII; if you are doing an internal medicine residency, you need something at a bit of a higher level. I used Marriott's Practical Electrocardiography by Galen when I was a resident. The other website to know about once you get over the basics is ECG WaveMaven http://ecg.bidmc.harvard.edu/

I'm half way through my 2nd year, but we have already gone intensely over EKGs. We used both Dubin's book and also a book called Clinical Electrocardiography by Ary L. Goldberger. I'd recommend the book by Goldberger because while Dubin was a good foundation book, the knowledge that my class needed to know about EKGs quickly surpassed it. Goldberger tells you the foundation about EKGs and also goes into more detail of some of the more complicated rhythms. In the end, the only thing I really used out of Dubin's were his reference sheets which you can get for free (at much poorer quality) at www.themdsite.com

I suppose it depends on how you learn. Dubin is oriented to asking you questions where you try to fill in the blank. Goldberger is just a standard text that tells you what you need to know in a standard format.