Which european country is best in paying the doctors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skystar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi i was wondering if we could compare the salaries of doctors in eurpoean countries and the availability of jobs and the languages required to know, then it would be easy for us to decide to chose the one most convenient.

Members don't see this ad.

from EU states: UK, Netherlands, Sweden. If you are good and make it into private practice in Italy, you could be earning similarly to US. Outside EU (Swiss, Norway) you will make a decent living, but nothing extraordinary.

Sweden is a very good and doctors are well paid there. Also, Norway but have to keep in mind the language problem which is not english.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say Switzerland. I might end up there myself.
High living costs too, but the pay should be enough to live comfortably (yet not luxuriously).

How much does a doctor get paid in Sweden when starting his residency there?

Believing the article in a German magazine for medical students the highest salary for doctors starting residency is in Norway (48000€/year), closely followed by Sweden and Germany (40000-45000€/year) - but to be honest the scandinavian states are much nicer ;-)

Yeah, I am finishing my medical studies in Portugal too and my first option of country when I thought about going abroad was Sweden, then Norway.
I only thought about Germany after that because we don't need to perform any exam to be accepted in the residency there, and in Sweden we need it... Does anyone knows if it's too difficult to do it in Sweden, by the way?

Hi
Nice subject !!!:thumbup:
But i want to add two small things, firstly, it's better to mention Some numbers when we talk about salaries, if possible. i think it would feel much better when we see a couple of zeros besides the number ! :D :love:

Also, i think we should talk about other criteria when we mention the salary, like taxes, cost of living, and educational payments (if applicable) stuff like that..

Cause (for example, from what i have known recently) salary in norway is REALLY good if you consider it alone, but when you add the other criteria side along it, it loses it's charms (more or less)

What do you people think?!?!