Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.

Which Examkrackers 1001/101 books are worth it?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by Little Etoile, Jun 5, 2008.

?

Which Examkrackers 1001/101 books are worth it?

1. EK 1001 Biology Questions

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  2. EK 1001 General Chem Questions

9 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. EK 1001 O-Chem Questions

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. EK 1001 Physics Questions

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. EK 101 Verbal Passages

23 vote(s)
    63.9%
  6. None. They won't be useful in your case.

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  7. None. They're not useful PERIOD.

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Little Etoile

Pre-Medical
    I already reviewed all the material from TPR books. This is my second time taking the exam, but I last took it two years ago and I've been out of school for a year and a half.

I know that the best way I learn is through doing problems and I still have all my TPR workbook passages to do and all the AAMC full-lengths, but people often recommend the EK 1001/101 books, as well. However, in doing a search it seems there are mixed reviews, with many people saying that if you already have an understanding of the material (which, again, I spent the last month reviewing everything so I'm guessing I fall under this category?) then they're not helpful.

If it helps, my last exam I scored 10P 10V 9B.

Given all of this, of the EK 1001/101 books, which do you recommend, if any? Check all that apply.

Thanks for the help! :)

#1 Little Etoile, Jun 5, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. justapremed

Pre-Medical
    I think EK 1001 for orgo, gen chem, and physics weren't helpful in that they were free-standing questions, no passages. So they weren't very representative of real MCAT questions, in my opinion.

Verbal 101 was excellent! Definitely worth the money for me.

The bio one was a mixture of passages and free-standing questions, imitating that of the MCAT. But I personally didn't find them AS helpful as doing full length AAMC BS because I didn't feel like the passage/question styles were very imitative of AAMCs. However, I maybe wrong... and I haven't tried a different prep book and I don't know if EK is one of the better ones for that :)

4. JA Prufrock

JA Prufrock Serenity Now!

Pre-Medical
    How much time do you have? The 1001 series is mostly considered a good foundation builder for the sciences, while the TPR science workbook/Kaplan/TBR problem sets seem to offer more of a challenge. If you have limited time, I'd say go with the harder stuff; if you have enough time, doing more problems can only help.

5. Little Etoile

Pre-Medical
    I am taking the exam July 10th, but until then I am not working and will be holed up in the mountains doing nothing but prepping for the exam. :D

6. engineeredout

Resident [Any Field]
    At first I didn't get any of the 1001 Q books, just the MCAT complete package. As I started going through the books though, I was left at the end of each lecture wanting more. So far I've bought the 1001 physics, bio, and gchem. Like justapremed said above, gchem and physics are all freestanding questions. They're good to just help you make sure you get the topics down solid. I wouldn't recommend getting them though if you don't have the EK subject books. The 1001 are good for supplementary material, but not real good on their own.

I personally like the 1001 bio a lot. Its a good way of getting more applications of the material in the lectures, which is good for me because I have not taken bio yet so this is really a crash course in biology for me. If any I'd get this one on its own even without the subject book.

And when they come out with the new edition I fully intend to get the 101 verbal. Heard good things about it.

7. stylinMD

Pre-Medical
    I would definitely recommend the Biology 1001 because its passage based just like the actual test. The Verbal 101 is good too, but the passages are easier than the actual.

As for the other science books, they aren't passage based so not great practice, but it definitely helps you learn the material. The questions are really repetitive and towards the end of each section the questions get way too complicated and time consuming in order for it to be on the actual test.

Good luck!

8. Mandarin142

Pre-Medical
    I am also taking the July 10 MCAT -- Good Luck! As far as the 1001 books go, I really enjoy them all. As others have said, the biology book is the only passage-based book (except verbal) and most closely mimics the real MCAT. But the questions are very hard and downright outrageous at times. Sometimes I think the author was confused and thought he was writing a USMLE prep book instead. The other books are just free-standing questions and do start to get repetitive. But they are awesome for drilling on topics like thermo, gases, equilibrium, etc... I have also been using the Kaplan "new MCAT" practice tests and the "MCAT 45 book" to get some subject-specific MCAT practice.

9. engineeredout

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the bio passages were on the hard side. Better off too hard than too easy though IMO

Oh and speaking of which, when are they going to release the new verbal? I thought it was supposed to be by the end of may.

10. SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    There are two must buy EK 1001/101 books, the bio and the verbal. Those two are highly recommended. I also think the others are worth picking up as well. I thought they really helped me get the topics down. Sure, I knew the material, but they solidified everything and made me better prepared for the test. Plus, doing more timed practice problems is always a good thing, not to mention you can get them pretty cheap (~$15-20 for the other EK 1001 books). If you're strapped for cash and you're within a month of the test, pick up more practice tests before the EK 1001 series.