Which Family Practice Residencies are good?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Old Yeller

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to which of the family practice residencies are the best and why. I would really appreciate your input.

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, congrats! It appears from your other posts that you will be in the UHS 2006 class, correct? Well you are coming in and I am getting out :D , you will get a great education at UHS.

Bit premature on the residency question, aren't we?! You just might decide to become a surgeon when time comes for you to apply for residency...

To answer your question, it depends on which kind of practice you are interested in: with OB, without OB, suburban, inner city, rural, foreign missions? A program that excels in preparing FPs for rural practice might not be the right choice for someone interested in suburbia, for obvious reasons.

FP communitity programs are much stronger (and consequently have better reputations) than those based at a major university hospital, which translates into: a good FP program will be unopposed (that is, it will be the only residency program based at that particular hospital). There are a few FP programs that share hospital with another residency program, and happen to be excellent, but it is because the FP program is the largest and strongest, otherwise, forget it.

I will be happy to be more specific, if you can tell me which kind of FP you are interested in.

Thanks alot, UHS2002 for the info. You're right, I might change my mind on what how I would practice as a DO. But I've been thinking for a quite a long time on being a family doc. Then again, who knows... It's funny, now that I've gotten accepted into med school, I'm already thinking about the next step: COMLEX I/USMLE I exams. I've never been a gunner, but if I don't have a goal in front of me to shoot for, I tend to be pretty much without direction.
As for the info on FP programs, thanks alot for the info. I'm kind of torn right now on what kind of a family practice I would like to do: rural vs. inner city. What I see myself doing 15 years from now would be to practice as a medical missionary doctor in a third world area (possibly India). So, it would seem that rural might be the best choice. Although I am still very interested in the inner city (Chicago) cuz that's where I grew up. So, that's my dilemma. Could you name a couple of programs that you're pretty familiar with off the top of your head?
By the way, what are your plans for the coming months?

Members don't see this ad :)
Old Yeller,

check your Private Messages.