Which gen surg interview in Chicago to go to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

integra892

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Due to travel and time constraints, I have to choose only 1 of the 3 interviews that I received in the Chicago area. To those who know better than I do, which of the three is the best for someone wanting an academic setting with research opportunities that would be best suited for future fellowship opportunities? Let me know your thoughts. Thank you.

integra892

Members don't see this ad.

Due to travel and time constraints, I have to choose only 1 of the 3 interviews that I received in the Chicago area. To those who know better than I do, which of the three is the best for someone wanting an academic setting with research opportunities that would be best suited for future fellowship opportunities? Let me know your thoughts. Thank you.

integra892

which 3 programs?

just my opinion:

UChicago > Northwestern > UIC > Rush > Loyola.

I'm not sure about the rest of the Chicago programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
im stupid, i didnt even mention the programs. UIC UIC-Metro and Loyola

Loyola > UIC >> UIC Metro

i think looking at the GS programs in chicago you have a big 5. which are named above. then you break them down into the types of programs

Loyola/Rush/UIC = all well rounded programs with good surgical volumes. loyola and rush seem to have a slightly stronger names with higher volumes than UIC, but i interviewd there and was very impressed. all have great trauma (UIC and Rush heavy penetrating) all have great bread and butter genral surgery. UIC department chair is interim only in title, he is the man and everybody knows it; heavy in transplant, nationally recognized for small bowel transplant. Rush still seems to be going through some things, but they are still a powerhouse with several national rankings, they do not have a VA, as UIC and loyola. loyola's cardiac is ranked 23rd nationally, also have good endocrine.

Northwestern= strong name, share the VA with UIC, good bread and butter, less exposure to trauma, less exposure to plastics due to their own plastics pgorgram; rumored to be a little hands off to residents because of the the wealthy and influential population they serve.

U Chicago= strong name, hard core academic program, research research research. little exposure to trauma, i've been told by many people " if u do not want to be department chair somewhere, don't go there".

sorry, didn't notice until after I typed this that you didn't specify UChicago--my bad!

i think looking at the GS programs in chicago you have a big 5. which are named above. then you break them down into the types of programs

Loyola/Rush/UIC = all well rounded programs with good surgical volumes. loyola and rush seem to have a slightly stronger names with higher volumes than UIC, but i interviewd there and was very impressed. all have great trauma (UIC and Rush heavy penetrating) all have great bread and butter genral surgery. UIC department chair is interim only in title, he is the man and everybody knows it; heavy in transplant, nationally recognized for small bowel transplant. Rush still seems to be going through some things, but they are still a powerhouse with several national rankings, they do not have a VA, as UIC and loyola. loyola's cardiac is ranked 23rd nationally, also have good endocrine.

Northwestern= strong name, share the VA with UIC, good bread and butter, less exposure to trauma, less exposure to plastics due to their own plastics pgorgram; rumored to be a little hands off to residents because of the the wealthy and influential population they serve.

U Chicago= strong name, hard core academic program, research research research. little exposure to trauma, i've been told by many people " if u do not want to be department chair somewhere, don't go there".
Rush doesn't have a VA, but they have all the general surgical services, and trauma surgery at Cook County.

Northwestern has little penetrating trauma. They have been rumored to be "merging" with the Mt. Sinai/Chicago Med surgery program to fix this, but it hasn't materialized yet despite 2 years of rumors...

UChicago has peds trauma and they rotate at Cook County for adult trauma exposure.

at the risk of losing anonymity, i just wanted to clarify a few things about my home program. i am fairly certain i do not want to be a department chair, but many residents like myself seem to share an interest in pursuing a career in academic surgery (involving teaching and/or research). most pursue further fellowship training, though not all. about 75% do 2 years of research, but it is not required. in fact, one our best chiefs last year finished in 5 years straight and took a lucrative private practice job in chicago (a competitive market).

some residents are not heavily invested in research and do 2 years with no plans for future lab work. others conduct md-phd level work with the goal of maintaining a busy clinical practice and directing a lab eventually. the research opportunities at U of C are abundant and available if you want it. if you stay at U of C for your lab years, you are automatically funded by the department -- no need to apply for a grant.

it is true, we are not trauma heavy. however, i see this as a plus. trauma operative experience can be hit-or-miss depending on where you are, and may involve a lot of non-operative conservative management ("babysitting"). i think we get adequate adult trauma exposure with several months as a PGY-2 and PGY-4 at Cook county, same rotation as the Rush residents. we also get more than our share of peds traumas as we are the only Level I peds trauma center for the south side of chicago since Christ Hospital stopped admitting peds traumas. my last month on the peds service, we had 80 traumas in one month -- keep in mind, this is not a trauma service, but a peds service where we do anything from hernias, appys, bowel resections for NEC, pullthroughs for hirschsprungs, ECMO, decortications, lung resections, lap Nissens, to port placements (you get the idea)

we have a particularly strong exposure to surgical oncology, transplant, and vascular. already mentioned the great peds cases we get. we also have solid experience on burn (accredited Burn Center), thoracic, and of course various general surgery services. i think our critical care experience is good as well. as the PGY-2, you are the one managing the cardiac surgery ICU and burn ICU -- no seniors. at night, you are there alone but with attendings available by phone if needed.

the patient population ranges from indigent, to bread-and-butter middle class (we rotate at 2 community hospitals), to tertiary referrals from neighboring states (michigan, indiana).

the best selling point of the program is my fellow residents -- everybody works hard and we pick each other up. my colleagues are extremely dedicated individuals. having finished my pgy-3 year, many of the interns and juniors are a true pleasure to work with. (no secret, i would like this to continue!) many of my chiefs and former chiefs, i admire not only as physicians, but also their character as human beings.

bottom line, take home message -- it is a versatile program that you can tailor to your own needs, be it an academic career, further fellowship training, or straight into private practice. it is common for your goals and interests to evolve during training so i think it is valuable to be able to keep your doors open. i am happy to answer any questions.

that was extremely helpful, thanks for setting the record straight! my appologies for perpetuating a rumor

The rumor mill is spinning all kinds of things about Rush right now. Doesnt sound like things are real stable there at the moment. FYI.
The northwestern/sinai merger never happenned, nor will it. There are now rumors that U of C will be taking in Sinai. Sinai was my medical school's program, and I wanted nothing to do with it, nor did I want anything to do with any program taking sinai on with all its many problems. Point is, Sinai isnt going to exist much longer, the medical school even pulled most of its stuff out of there for greener pastures.

that was extremely helpful, thanks for setting the record straight! my appologies for perpetuating a rumor

no worries... i thought you were mostly on target, but that with a first-hand perspective, i should chime in and fill in the details

fwiw, i've worked with several of the residents from rush where we do trauma together at cook county and they are a solid and down-to-earth. from what i hear, rush also has a strong in transplant program, particularly livers.

My name is Michael Gaffud. I am a PGY-4 and one of the Junior Chief Administrative Residents from Rush. I went to Tulane for medical school and Notre Dame for undergrad.

Rush was my first choice of 10 programs and I would rank Rush first again.

The combination of Rush, Stroger Cook County, and Rush North Shore is a well-rounded experience. Rush is a tertiary care center, Stroger is a county/indigent care center, and Rush North Shore is a private hospital. We have an exceptional operative and educational experience. Our operative experience excels in endocrine, breast, surgical oncology, laparoscopic, pediatric, abdominal transplant, vascular, and trauma.

With the advent of the duty hours, we have had to make adjustments like all surgery programs across the country. We have addressed those issues and the necessary changes have been made. The educational experience has improved every year.

I encourage those who have the opportunity to interview at Rush to come and see what has happened and not what an anonymous post has written.

I encourage those who have the opportunity to interview at Rush to come and see what has happened and not what an anonymous post has written.

I have to agree with this guy......anonymous posts can be very biased and innacurate, which is why I never really relied much on scutwork.com for program info.

Still, with 20-30 interviews to wade through, and seeing as how most people getting interviews to Rush are pretty competitive, it's sometimes easier and time-effective to assume that where there's smoke, there's fire.

does anybody know if loyola is still considered a "malignant" program?

Depends on what you consider malignant. It's a very rigorous program. You will work hard, will be tired and overworked, and nobody there will have pity on you.
But the tide has definitely changed. It's still very hierarchical, but the newer attendings are quite down-to-earth and reasonable. Nobody's there to break you - they're there to make you a better surgeon. The PD is very responsive and has really changed the program's flavor.
sd