Which GPA carries the most weight?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JRMDR

7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what Gpa carries the most weight. The BCP, The cumlative GPA, or the science GPA. i was wondering because the science is made up of engineering courses too and those arent to important towards the dental degree. My current Cumlative GPA is about a 3.3 and the science and BCP is around a 2.7. Thanks for the responses ahead of time!

Junior Pre-Dent

Members don't see this ad.

JRMDR,

I understand your frustration but I think every school will have it's own favorites. The two main gpas that are shown in the dental school listings are the overall and science. You have a big difference between both of them. Most schools would expect your non-science be higher than science. You definately have that trend. Another reason that they split these gpa's up is to see if they are around the same. A big difference in gpa is a red flag.

for example a person with a 3.8 overall and a 2.9 science gpa is going to tell the adcoms that his gpa is high due to "easy" credits.

However, the schools will definately look at that you took hard engineering classes and will weigh it accordingly.

Hope this helps.

DesiDentist

Thanks Desi, that really helped. I feel confiedent that I can becaome a stronger applicant over this next year and pull out a 3 hopefully.
Thanks again for the reply!
Pre-Dent

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with what's above. I think it is more important what the GPAs are in RELATION to each other. (Super low science with a high cumulative GPA). I have never seen a science GPA higher or the same as a cumulative GPA - me or my friends. They will also be looking at what your major was - P.E. or Chemistry, for instance. Guaranteed. So expect your science to be lower - not THAT much lower - and try to keep both as high as you can. Obviously, we are all going to do well in Freshman English. Easy as pie.

Hey,
I am one of the 'odd balls'...my BCP is a 3.54 and my overall is 2.85 (I majored in statistics tho...that was a killer...thus, the lower overall GPA)....Any thoughts on how they may view that??

it's worth noting that many schools also calculate a gpa from the last two years. that way they can see if performance has increased or decreased.

That's true -- nearly all schools will run a graph showing your GPA trend (or GPA over the last two years) and use this as a basis for judgement.

My GPA jumps a full point when looking at this. GPA trend is a key factor in determining admissions.