which gpa do schools look at?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medbunny56

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Most schools put different weights on specific classes.

I think biochemistry and physiology are the most scrutinized.

sGPA is important too.

Most schools put different weights on specific classes.

I think biochemistry and physiology are the most scrutinized.

sGPA is important too.

i have a C in ochem I and a C in physics II

i tried to "make up" for the bad ochem I grade by getting an "A" in ochem II and got an 80th percentile score on my mcat chem/phys section

i will be taking physiology during this app cycle and will update schools when i get the grade

Members don't see this ad :)
i have a C in ochem I and a C in physics II

i tried to "make up" for the bad ochem I grade by getting an "A" in ochem II and got an 80th percentile score on my mcat chem/phys section

i will be taking physiology during this app cycle and will update schools when i get the grade
I think you're fine. I applied last cycle with similar stats and I still got interviews, but I think I just applied too late (submitted my primary in the last month)

Reactions: 1 user
which of these gpa do med schools mainly consider to extend interview invites?

science gpa
overall gpa
pre-requisite gpa

i have a 3.63 cgpa, 3.51 sgpa, 3.75 AO but I think my pre-req gpa is around a 3.3 :(

I could be wrong but i don't recall schools calculating prereq GPA. It's just science, nonscience and cumulative GPA. Sorted by mean importance ratings yields:

Science GPA > Cumulative GPA >> Non-science GPA

Source

I always look at sGPA and cGPA. Pre-reqs, not really.

So quit fussing.

which of these gpa do med schools mainly consider to extend interview invites?

science gpa
overall gpa
pre-requisite gpa

i have a 3.63 cgpa, 3.51 sgpa, 3.75 AO but I think my pre-req gpa is around a 3.3 :(

Reactions: 4 users