Which GPA would I need to stay competitive for most pharmacy schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ClrkKnt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently my GPA took a hit in the two semesters and went down a bit to the low 3s. Pharmacy has interested me as a profession for years now but I haven't taken the PCAT yet. So far I have read and found answers of people with below a 3.0 getting in which sounds somewhat made-up to me so I was thinking about what GPA would be competitive for Pharmacy schools.

I hear the average is around a 3.5 but some pharmacy schools accept 3.1 type GPAs too.

Members don't see this ad.

Recently my GPA took a hit in the two semesters and went down a bit to the low 3s. Pharmacy has interested me as a profession for years now but I haven't taken the PCAT yet. So far I have read and found answers of people with below a 3.0 getting in which sounds somewhat made-up to me so I was thinking about what GPA would be competitive for Pharmacy schools.

I hear the average is around a 3.5 but some pharmacy schools accept 3.1 type GPAs too.

The average for schools varies around 3.5 or so, but it is just an average. People get in with lower and with higher GPA.

They are able to see your academic history, so it shouldn't be so far-fetched for someone with below a 3.0 to get in. They could have had failures in their first year or two then aced their classes, or had low undergrad GPA but graduate coursework afterward, or had other extracurriculars and time commitments that help make up for their overall GPA etc.

Since you've only said pharmacy has "interested" you and you seem to have a downward GPA trend currently, you may need to make up for that in other ways. Reversing the trend, showing commitment to the profession, and doing well on the PCAT can help you.

You can get into a good school with a 3.5. The chances of getting into a good school with a subpar GPA are slim. Usually you have to have 5+ years of pharmacy technician story and a convincing story on why your GPA was low.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can get into a good school with a 3.5. The chances of getting into a good school with a subpar GPA are slim. Usually you have to have 5+ years of pharmacy technician story and a convincing story on why your GPA was low.

5+ years!?!?!!???

5+ years!?!?!!???

Why would someone take a person with a sub 3.0 GPA unless they had extremely redeeming qualities?

I'm sure you can find tons of applicants between 3.0-3.5 who have 3+ years of technician experience and apply.

Experience is not a requirement. People that do get in with low gpa,in my opinion, is that many schools are doing what they call a hollistic approach admission. They look at the whole picture. So many variables on how and why. You can speculate all you want but sometimes adcom just does their own thing. I think a killer ps and great interview played a role. It's not all about numbers and they get the adcom people to see that about their application and bam they're in! It's about networking and selling yourself. If you can sell yourself they will look beyond numbers. I think anything above a 3.0 has a chance. Get to know the people at the school you want badly. Go to the open houses..do followup emails of appreciation. Thank you email. Network !!!network!!and sell yourself to them. Don't make it too desperate stalker feel...More of a determined very driven individual. That's one way the low gpa people are getting in and staying competitive with higher ranked applicants...Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user