which groups of people are the most/least represented in medicine ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anewbeginning

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
is there a source or accurate way of knowing ?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
is there a source or accurate way of knowing ?

Medicine, like advanced education, is overwhelmed by whities and asians. Hispanics and Blacks are underrepresented. Obvi small population peoples like Native American, Eskimo, and Scientologists. But we're talking big races, big picture

We've got plenty of white, a good sampling of yellow, and too few brown and black.

Hows that to offend every sensitive hippie in the group?

Members don't see this ad :)
Physicists and mathematicians are the least represented in medicine.

Most under-represented: My gut says Native Americans. But it could be some tiny population that by a statistical fluke has very very few doctors from that background whatsoever. For example, I'm sure the Hmong, who are a reasonably small quite disadvantaged Asian population are quite under-represented.

Most over-represented? Aside from the general catch-all "Asian", the historically highly well represented Jewish population (still over-represented, but not nearly to the degree we used to be), my best guess for a population that is *severely* over-represented is Nigerian Americans. And most other 1st-3rd generation African/Caribbean immigrants. Combine a hard-working, achieve-the-most-for-your-kids immigrant mentality with the "boosts" given to "URM" applicants and you get a number of medical students that is way out of proportion to the population they're coming from. (I don't know about every school, but between my own, a few I have friends at, and random medical students around the country that I've encountered over the years, I wouldn't be surprised if fully half of AA medical students are 1st-3rd generation immigrants.)

yeah,it could be some tiny population that by a statistical fluke has very very few doctors from that background whatsoever.thanks
6.gif

I'd like to see the data on blacksmiths in medicine as well.

I actually read a study that blacksmiths were over represented in medicine and especially in radiology (??). Also a recent pub in the NEJM showed that other peasants like gravediggers, herdsman and peddler's were increasingly being enrolled and choosing specialty jobs like Urology. However, you will still always have your scribes, jugglers, and squires and everyone knows the classic association between monks and pediatric gynecology.