which groups of people are the most/least represented in medicine ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anewbeginning

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
is there a source or an accurate way of finding out ?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Atheists are pretty well represented.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I believe officially non-believers make up ~15% of the population and I believe (not sure at all) I've heard that a majority of physicians are non-religious.

Yeah, I believe officially non-believers make up ~15% of the population and I believe (not sure at all) I've heard that a majority of physicians are non-religious.

The most recent surveys I could find indicate otherwise.

http://chronicle.uchicago.edu/050714/doctorsfaith.shtml
http://www.reuters.com/article/2007/09/03/us-psychiatrists-religion-idUSN0228386620070903

The first study of physician religious beliefs has found that 76 percent of doctors believe in God and 59 percent believe in some sort of afterlife. The survey, performed by researchers at the University and published in the July issue of the Journal of General Internal Medicine, found that 90 percent of doctors in the United States attend religious services at least occasionally, compared to 81 percent of all adults. Fifty-five percent of doctors say their religious beliefs influence how they practice medicine

Physicians differ significantly from non-physician scientists in this regard.

i guess when you see people die, it helps to believe in an after-life.

Touche Morzh!!

I suppose that was wishful thinking.

Being an atheist, i think i will literally flip if I just saved some guys life, by doing some emergency surgery on him..and then have his family say "oh thank you jesus, for saving my child! God has saved us once again!"

test_meme.php

Hispanics/Africans are URM.
Caucasians are ORM.
Asians are RORM.

Being an atheist, i think i will literally flip if I just saved some guys life, by doing some emergency surgery on him..and then have his family say "oh thank you jesus, for saving my child! God has saved us once again!"

test_meme.php
You might want to find another career if this is your attitude, since I guarantee you will hear that multiple times if you practice as a doctor......

Hopefully being an Hispanic ex-nurses with Aspergers who dropped out of 11th grade will get me some recognition..

Are people from Egypt considered URM?

I don't have any source for this but I doubt that there are many obese doctors out there.

Last edited:
Verum, I'm pretty sure most egyptians and those of middle eastern decent in general tend to list caucasian as their ethnicity. Egyptian is a nationality though, so obviously you could be a black egyptian, a white egyptian, or even an asian egyptian.