Which hospital shift is better 7am-3pm or 9am to 5pm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yorkie212

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will work at an outpatient pharmacy at Kaiser and wanted to know which shift is better, or is it all the same

Members don't see this ad.

7am to 3pm....get in / get out....when you get home...there's still time to do stuff.

Reactions: 3 users
7-3 for sure. No traffic and you'll have way more time to do things after work.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah but if you have to be at work at 7am 5 days a week you'll be a disaster if you want to do anything past 9pm.

So id say it's deeply personal. I don't mind 7am once in a blue moon, but I'm so wrecked the rest of the day from getting up at 530 the post work nap or early bed time negates being off earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah but if you have to be at work at 7am 5 days a week you'll be a disaster if you want to do anything past 9pm.

So id say it's deeply personal. I don't mind 7am once in a blue moon, but I'm so wrecked the rest of the day from getting up at 530 the post work nap or early bed time negates being off earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

That's true, but 9-5 puts you in prime rush hour traffic. My drive can double or triple during those hours.

Reactions: 1 user
I prefer the 7-3 as I can pick the kids up from school/daycare when I get done. Others are right, though, about it destroying the late nights, my bedtime is 10pm at the absolute latest or the next day sucks. Otherwise I wouldn't mind 9-5 because Farmland, Iowa has no rush hour. Unless you're stuck behind a tractor.

Reactions: 2 users
7-3. Zero traffic and you can still work in doctor/dentist appointments or run errands after work.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Was going to answer your question but got lost daydreaming about what it would be like to work 8 hours a day and leave at 3pm. I could have a life. I could have...hobbies!

Reactions: 4 users
I prefer the 7-3 as I can pick the kids up from school/daycare when I get done. Others are right, though, about it destroying the late nights, my bedtime is 10pm at the absolute latest or the next day sucks. Otherwise I wouldn't mind 9-5 because Farmland, Iowa has no rush hour. Unless you're stuck behind a tractor.

10 pm is my bedtime regardless. Nothing better than a nice, warm bed. Back when I was pulling a lot of evening shifts I would stay up until 3-4 am, but not these days brother.

Was going to answer your question but got lost daydreaming about what it would be like to work 8 hours a day and leave at 3pm. I could have a life. I could have...hobbies!
Come on, you'd just waste that time anyway. Back to work!

10 pm is my bedtime regardless. Nothing better than a nice, warm bed. Back when I was pulling a lot of evening shifts I would stay up until 3-4 am, but not these days brother.

Come on, you'd just waste that time anyway. Back to work!

I think I would have to learn to play video games. That's what guys with free time do right? Get some Black Ops Grand Theft Halo going on.

I work 4pm to 12am and love it. I have all morning free and do everything normal people try to do after work from 6 to 9 pm. There is never any traffic when I drive to work and never when I come back home. Also, doing errands, no matter what it is, is so easy during the day because the rest of the world is at work.

If you are thinking about 7am to 3pm, think about this.. How early do you have to wake up to get to work at 7am every day? 6am?5am? 4am? Then what time do you go to bed everyday? 9pm? 8pm? LMFAO..

In my opinion, 9 to 5 is much better, BUT, yes, traffic may suck big time. You have to consider how that will affect your life. A 9 to 5 with a smooth commute (no traffic) is much better than 7 to 3.

Members don't see this ad :)
8am-4pm jk.

Completely personal preference. I couldn't get myself to sleep early so i would do 9-5 UNLESS the staffing sucks 3pm to 5pm, which would give me an incentive to do the 7am shift. And of course, I'd try to line up my schedule most with my significant other.

Congrats on getting the Kaiser gig nonetheless, that's one hell of a find! Enjoy

Last edited:
I will work at an outpatient pharmacy at Kaiser and wanted to know which shift is better, or is it all the same

This is an issue of lifestyle. 7am-3pm shift means you gotta be willing to wake up at 6 or earlier depending on how far you live from the hospital. Also means that you probably will also have to call it a night by 10-11. The pharmacists I worked with who did the 7am-3pm shift told me they used to wake up at 430am and go to sleep at 9PM. I could never live like that.

I work 4pm to 12am and love it. I have all morning free and do everything normal people try to do after work from 6 to 9 pm. There is never any traffic when I drive to work and never when I come back home. Also, doing errands, no matter what it is, is so easy during the day because the rest of the world is at work.

If you are thinking about 7am to 3pm, think about this.. How early do you have to wake up to get to work at 7am every day? 6am?5am? 4am? Then what time do you go to bed everyday? 9pm? 8pm? LMFAO..

In my opinion, 9 to 5 is much better, BUT, yes, traffic may suck big time. You have to consider how that will affect your life. A 9 to 5 with a smooth commute (no traffic) is much better than 7 to 3.

I had a similar shift (3pm-11pm) but I'd wake up at 1pm and go to sleep at 5-6am.

I had a similar shift (3pm-11pm) but I'd wake up at 1pm and go to sleep at 5-6am.

That happens to me once in a while, but I try for it to not happen. It's so great waking up every morning with hours and hours to myself.

I'm the type of person who would prefer to stay up until midnight every night and sleep in but even I would probably go with 7-3. Less traffic, get home and still have a solid 6 hours in your day.

That happens to me once in a while, but I try for it to not happen. It's so great waking up every morning with hours and hours to myself.

I'd probably do what Sparda did to be honest; those morning hours would be tainted by the fact that I still have to go to work later lol. Than again I'm single.

This is an issue of lifestyle. 7am-3pm shift means you gotta be willing to wake up at 6 or earlier depending on how far you live from the hospital. Also means that you probably will also have to call it a night by 10-11. The pharmacists I worked with who did the 7am-3pm shift told me they used to wake up at 430am and go to sleep at 9PM. I could never live like that.
My shifts is 8-5 every day and I sleep at 2 am.

I agree with above posters, it depends on traffic and your personal preferences, sleep habits, family needs, etc. 7am shift would make it very difficult to exercise in the morning for me, I already wake up at 6 to go the gym before work

I work 8 to 430 and love it. 15 minute commute.

7-3pm
I'd save so much time with traffic.

it depends on the Hosptial workflow. For mine, it's much busier and added responsibilities in the morning, rather the later in the day.

I'd probably do what Sparda did to be honest; those morning hours would be tainted by the fact that I still have to go to work later lol. Than again I'm single.

Yeah, I'd rather my mind be fresh going into work. If I woke up early and had to work a 3-11 shift, I'd be mentally fatigued by 9-10.

9-5 for me, I have flex scheduling and still prefer 9-5. Allows me to workout from 6:30-8 come home, shower and then have the whole day after work to do stuff.

When I did 7-3 I struggled to workout right after work. I needed a 1 hour downtime....that would become 2..., or a dentist appointment, or happy hour etc....

I usually work 7-3:30 and prefer an early shift because I'm naturally an early riser. I do get up around 4:30-5 am because I live kind of far from my job...some days I wish I could sleep in a little bit later.