• Total voters

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
I only have one free month in my 4th year of med school, and want to get some intensive care experience. Which type of rotation would be best for me to do?

southerndoc

life is good
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2002
Atlanta
Status
Attending Physician
OSUdoc08 said:
I only have one free month in my 4th year of med school, and want to get some intensive care experience. Which type of rotation would be best for me to do?
It really depends on the institution. Some MICU rotations are awesome, while others aren't. I think the most bang for the buck is with a surgical ICU rotation since they tend to be of higher acuity.

Seaglass

Quantum Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2003
Winston Salem, NC
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I think SICU because they (in my limited experience) tend to do more procedures and the patients are more likely to get well and leave (giving you an idea of how interventions can actually make patients better compared to the linger->die pattern often seen in the MICU).

About the Ads

USCDiver

Percocet-R-US
15+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2003
Greensboro,NC
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
This is a tough question to answer for a MS4 though. Because if you go into EM, you're sort of automatically going to get all the SICU and MICU experience you will need (and then some at some places). But depending on your program you may or may not see a bunch of sick kids. And to be honest, residency isn't just about seeing patients, it's about knowing how to recognize a sick patient and stabilize them. So the bottom line answer to your question (which is unfortunately the same answer you get for most questions in this forum) is 'it depends'.

Hmmm, speaking of which, can we get an 'it depends' smilie? Maybe like an old dude with mental status changes wearing a diaper?

12R34Y

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2000
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
MICU hands down in my opinion.

The 2 SICU's I had experience with in medical school were dismal. Lots of bowel surgery/CABG ancient patients with colostomies and sepsis that had been there forever.

Surgeon's (especially the interns) stole all of the procedures b/c they are surgeons and that's what they like to do.

MICU was amazing. Sepsis, anaphylaxis, PE's, all shocks states, meningitis, overdoses, electrolyte problems etc, DKA's, renal failure

VERY PERTINENT to the ER.

Tons of procedures in MICU (got all of my central lines, art lines and tubes in MICU month during medical school).....thoracentesis very common, SWAnz's, vent management.

Reading CXR's with pulmonologists every morning. It was great.

later

bulgethetwine

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
Status
12R34Y said:
MICU hands down in my opinion.

The 2 SICU's I had experience with in medical school were dismal. Lots of bowel surgery/CABG ancient patients with colostomies and sepsis that had been there forever.

Surgeon's (especially the interns) stole all of the procedures b/c they are surgeons and that's what they like to do.

MICU was amazing. Sepsis, anaphylaxis, PE's, all shocks states, meningitis, overdoses, electrolyte problems etc, DKA's, renal failure

VERY PERTINENT to the ER.

Tons of procedures in MICU (got all of my central lines, art lines and tubes in MICU month during medical school).....thoracentesis very common, SWAnz's, vent management.

Reading CXR's with pulmonologists every morning. It was great.

later
I second the sentiment on both points. But I would also add that a VA SICU is an entire different animal. That is to say, not always surgeons around to steal the procedures, so it can be cool.

OP
OSUdoc08

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
drewpydog said:
How about a dedicated trauma ICU rotation? I learned a lot on mine.
I've been doing some research into some hospitals, and haven't found anything with that title. Where would I find this information?

waterski232002

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2004
Chicago
Status
Attending Physician
Wake Forest has a Trauma ICU which is distinct from the SICU.

About the Ads