Which is a more interesting major: Biochem or Genetics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LadyMD2b

... moment of silence
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that it doesn't matter what I major in, but I'm still having a hard time deciding. I've narrowed it down to either Biochem or Genetics as a major and Religion as a minor. Which one, do you think, would be a better major for my Religion minor? I know that it's ultimately up to me, but I'm just looking for different opinions on the matter. Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see how either of them complements a religion minor. What do YOU like more?

I'd personally go genetics, but that's because I liked genetics better than biochem. Ultimately you need to do what you like.

genetics (including evolution) complements religion nicely

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I know that it doesn't matter what I major in, but I'm still having a hard time deciding. I've narrowed it down to either Biochem or Genetics as a major and Religion as a minor. Which one, do you think, would be a better major for my Religion minor? I know that it's ultimately up to me, but I'm just looking for different opinions on the matter. Thanks so much.

What type of job do you want after college? If you don't get into medical school, what would you do? If you know that answer, you know what to major in. If you want to work as a lab tech, get the biochem degree with a religion and chem minor so you can actually get a job.

I vote Biochem..idk why you want it to complement a religion minor though.

Biochem

However it does depend upon the univerity. Some universities have a seperate department of genetics (which can be very nice), where as some only offer a few genetic classes which makes the genetics degree much more like a bio degree in which the student just choose the genetic electives.

I guess to help you decide, if you like bio classes more I would go with genetics, but if you like chemistry more then go with biochem.

The first two year are going to be very similar either way.

I like how polar the relationship is when biochem is in tandem with such an open-ended field like religion. Personally.

I would go with biochem, too. Especially if the major includes some p-chem upper divs. It'll enable you to work in alot of different labs (bio, organic, physcial chemistry, fully bio) and there will be plenty genetics involved in it, too. You should also consider that no matter what your major will be you will most likely have time for electives to choose to your liking. I.e. I was a cell bio major but took classes in psychology and human biology as well.

If all else fails and you feel too constricted in any of those majors, make your own. Most large universities have ways to create your own major. That way you can a)take all the classes you want in your newly created biochemical genetics & religion major and b) med school admission will love the go-getter attitude and dedication it shows.

But that's just my 2 cents...or 50 cents...let me check....nope...only got two cents.

If you want to be a doctor, major in whatever you enjoy the most, because you'll be more likely to have a high GPA. Personally, I found Genetics to be pure pain. Biochem made sense and was fun.

Genetics major: :sleep::sleep:

Biochem major: :sleep::sleep:

Looks like a tie. The good news is that what I think doesnt matter. Major in whatever you want.

The thing is, life starts at the physics level, than the chemistry level, than the biochemistry, level, than the genetic level, than the protein level, than the anatomy and physiology level.

Wouldn't it be sweet to have a complete understanding of all of these processes? Maybe I could write a huge book that explains everything. Would that be a good idea? I think so!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
The thing is, life starts at the physics level, than the chemistry level, than the biochemistry, level, than the genetic level, than the protein level, than the anatomy and physiology level.

Wouldn't it be sweet to have a complete understanding of all of these processes? Maybe I could write a huge book that explains everything. Would that be a good idea? I think so!!!!!

calm down:rolleyes:

Well you better get an editor to fix your grammar, b/c you are missing the English level! (sorry, i couldnt resist). Your passion for science is admirabe.

To me, genetics and religion can have a stronger relationship (evolution wank) than biochem and religion. I like my majors and minors to oppose as much as possible. For instance, I'm a neurobio major, minoring in dance and business administration.

I GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL OK :(

To me, genetics and religion can have a stronger relationship (evolution wank) than biochem and religion. I like my majors and minors to oppose as much as possible. For instance, I'm a neurobio major, minoring in dance and business administration.

OMG GET OUT MY HEAD YOU WEIRDO.

That's prolly what i'm gonna end up doing: science major, non-science program, random minor.

Well you better get an editor to fix your grammar, b/c you are missing the English level! (sorry, i couldnt resist). Your passion for science is admirabe.

lol, i don't take the time to make sure my grammar is perfect here.

If I were to write that paragraph in a formal way, I would say it as following:

It would be fun to write a book that helps explain how life starts at the physics level and progresses through the chemistry, organic, biochemistry, and to our biological system as a whole.

And yes I would have an editor as they are the experts in English....me is not, lol, lol.

got it...lol.

lol, i don't take the time to make sure my grammar is perfect here.

If I were to write that paragraph in a formal way, I would say it as following:

It would be fun to write a book that helps explain how life starts at the physics level and progresses through the chemistry, organic, biochemistry, and to our biological system as a whole.

And yes I would have an editor as they are the experts in English....me is not, lol, lol.

haha me would need an editor too, i was just poking fun of the use of "than" instead of "then." But wouldnt it be physical? :p

OMG GET OUT MY HEAD YOU WEIRDO.

That's prolly what i'm gonna end up doing: science major, non-science program, random minor.

Haha. ADD CLINCHES A STUNNING VICTORY

haha me would need an editor too, i was just poking fun of the use of "than" instead of "then." But wouldnt it be physical? :p

Yeah, I struggle with "then" and "than," and "to" and "too."

I vote Biochem..idk why you want it to complement a religion minor though.

I want to minor in religion regardless of my major. I was just hoping to find a major that would show how "well-rounded" I am, and this is what I narrowed it down to. I've always found genetics to be interesting, but biochem seems like it would be more beneficial to me.

why aren't you majoring in religion?

Well, there are a couple of reasons. One, I wanted to finish college in 3 years, b/c I started a couple of years late. Two, I'm not interested in enough of the claseses to major in Religion.

Hmmm.. I like the way you think. ;)

Well, there are a couple of reasons. One, I wanted to finish college in 3 years, b/c I started a couple of years late. Two, I'm not interested in enough of the claseses to major in Religion.
cool beans. how are your ecs/etc? do you have enough real-world experience to counter for a 3yr degree plan?

I would think genetics would be more difficult.

Really? I was under the impression that Biochem was more difficult, but I haven't taken the courses yet so my opinion is invalid. Have you taken either of the courses yet?

Really? I was under the impression that Biochem was more difficult, but I haven't taken the courses yet so my opinion is invalid. Have you taken either of the courses yet?
I have..both of them were difficult....I think Biochem might have been slightly more difficult for me.

You really dont understand how much their is to genetics until you actually take a class. Before my genetics class I was under the impression that it was mostly classical (Mendelian) type stuff that you learned in high school biology, but thats really only a small portion.

cool beans. how are your ecs/etc? do you have enough real-world experience to counter for a 3yr degree plan?

Well... I was elected President of two organizations, and I volunteered a little. So I have some experience, but it's definitely not enough. That's something that I plan to crack down on during the summer. I "overloaded" my first semester, and I will have an overload this semester as well. I only plan to take 18 credits this summer though, so I should have some free time. :)

I have..both of them were difficult....I think Biochem might have been slightly more difficult for me.

You really dont understand how much their is to genetics until you actually take a class. Before my genetics class I was under the impression that it was mostly classical (Mendelian) type stuff that you learned in high school biology, but thats really only a small portion.

Wow, that's what I thought it would be like as well. This definitely puts a new spin on things. I guess I won't really know, for sure, until I take the courses in the fall. Thanks

Hold off on declaring a major. Take both first semester classes that you would take for either major. You should be able to make a more informed decision afterward... unless they are the same class in which case... good luck.

Hold off on declaring a major. Take both first semester classes that you would take for either major. You should be able to make a more informed decision afterward... unless they are the same class in which case... good luck.

Thanks for responding... That is what I think I'll have to do. THANKS EVERYONE! :thumbup:

Biology I will cover a little bit of biochem and genetics. See which you like more.

There's a huge overlap between the two fields. Personally, I think it depends on how much math/chemistry you like. If you like your math and chem classes, then you'll prefer biochem. If you hated them, you'd probably like genetics more.

If your undecided between the two, just go with biology like everyone else. Nothing wrong with that.

Biology I will cover a little bit of biochem and genetics. See which you like more.

There's a huge overlap between the two fields. Personally, I think it depends on how much math/chemistry you like. If you like your math and chem classes, then you'll prefer biochem. If you hated them, you'd probably like genetics more.

If your undecided between the two, just go with biology like everyone else. Nothing wrong with that.

The genetic courses where I went to college dealt with a lot of math problems. Population genetics is mostly math. Sure general chemistry has a lot of math problems, but organic and biochem didn't really have any math problems where I went to college.

Genetics has a lot of stuff that personally doesn't interest me.. Conservation and population genetics, namely. The stuff is cool, but it ultimately doesn't really lead to a further understanding of how our bodies work, which is one of the reasons I wanna go into medicine in the first place! If I were you, I would lean towards Biochemistry. Understanding the intimate relationships between chemical structure and biological function is effing awesome.