Which is better: 15 on one section or well-balanced score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moooop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity is it better to have a well balanced score or 15 on one section? Usually my practice scores either come out completely imbalanced or very well-balanced..

For example:

PS: 12
VR: 10
BS: 12

versus

PS: 11
VR: 8
BS: 15

Which should I be aiming for on test day (granted I would want 12, 10, 15 if possible!)

Members don't see this ad.

There is unanimous agreement that balance is better than a super high score in one section.

The difference between a 13 and a 15 can be 2 questions. If you got an 8 in one section, you missed like 12-14 in that section alone.

8 or below in any section, adcoms may question whether or not you can do the work at their institution.

Your goal should be 30+ with nothing less than a 10 in any one section. Without question, you can succeed with a lesser score. Still, if you are setting a goal, the above should be it.

Second and third the above, well-balanced score should be the goal.

For one, it's easier to improve your scores from 7/10/10 to 10/10/10 than from 7/10/10 to 7/10/13. Second, if people see that you nailed one section and completely blew another, the knowledge that you can't even do the basics of one section is going to eclipse the great score somewhere else. After a certain point, a higher score just isn't that impressive.