which is better DMU or UHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmuoruhs

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi:
Was accepted to UHS yesterday and interviewed at DMU today...while everything at UHS was great...people, facilities, etc...DMU was a little drab. The interviewers were bored and yawning (and it wasn't me doing that to them :)) However, many people tell me that the DMU program is more widely recognized. Anybody have any input on which one is considered a better osteopathic school? Also, are there any osteopathic school ranking websites? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there,

Congrats on your acceptance to UHS. I'm a student from DMU and faced some of your same questions two years ago. I was accepted both schools, and after working so hard to get there it was really tough to decline an acceptance.

My personal opinion is that both Universities are excellent. Each one of the schools has strengths and weaknesses depending on what is important to you. A suggestion is that you make a list of things you like about one program verses another. Learn as much as you can about the differences in how the first two years are layed out. If I remember right, UHS was traditional lecture style for the first two years. At DMU, the first year is traditional while the second year is systems based, with some PBL also. Think about the two different cities, the setting of the school, and where you'd want to live for at least your first two years.

If you're wondering about the "reputation" of each school - I'd suggest you ask a few practicing D.O.'s about their opinions of each school. Maybe even find a physician who takes UHS/DMU students for 3rd and 4th year rotations and ask their opinion about the students they have with them.

Good luck!

dmuoruhs,

Hey, congrats on your acceptance. Were you in the interview on 26 Jan? If so, who? I was one of the Minnesota kids. Sorry, I don't have any insight on DMU, I am going to UHS in August. Good luck with the decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I interviewed at another school my interviewers had asked where I was accepted. I was already accepted to both UHS and DMU as you have also, and the interviewers both praised DMU more highly. Their OMM training is apparently superior to most schools. And what difference does appearance make when you are getting a great education?

(consequently I am going to MSUCOM for the distance and tuition, otherwise I probably would have picked DMU)

Hey all:
Scoren and Wren1976, thanks for your inputs. I have decided to go to UHS because I just got sick of the indifference exhibited by the admissions staff and financial aid office at DMU...they did not even begin to compare with the professionalism exhibited by the UHS people.
USBATORY...I was on the last table (from St. Cloud-Sauk Rapids)...the one who walked in late...which one from MN were you? The guy I met at the coat trials or the other one? Congratulations on your acceptance and looking forward to meeting you at UHS...