Which is better for research? MD, PhD, or MD/PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nbdyspcl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am curious as to which degree would be better for biomedical research, out of three options:

a. MD/PhD
b. PhD only
c. MD only

I'm at a point in my life where I'm supposed to be applying for graduate and/or professional schools, but now I'm not sure at all what I should apply to anymore. I've been looking at PhD programs, and to be honest, I am not as interested in PhD research as I am in MD research. At the same time, I've been studying science for so long that it's become a major part of my life blood. I can't imagine not doing some sort of research in the future and would probably not be happy getting bogged up in clinicals 24/7, since I would like some research in my life.

I want research that deals with people and pathology. Which degree do you think would be ideal for that and why?

In the meantime, I am thinking of getting a master's degree...But it's so expensive, I'm iffy on it.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been looking at PhD programs, and to be honest, I am not as interested in PhD research as I am in MD research.

You're going to need to clarify a bit here. What do you see as "PhD research" as opposed to "MD research". Basic vs clinical research? A PhD can do pretty much any type of bench research just as well as any MD or MD/PhD, while the MD would be useful if you're doing clinical research.

I can't imagine not doing some sort of research in the future and would probably not be happy getting bogged up in clinicals 24/7, since I would like some research in my life.

Well, being fully clinical would obviously make it difficult to have a successful research program, but plenty of successful researchers continue to have some clinical time (although usually dedicating the bulk of their time to research.

I want research that deals with people and pathology. Which degree do you think would be ideal for that and why?

This is really vague. Lots of PhDs are out there doing very clinically-oriented bench research--eg deciphering mechanisms of disease or developing potential new therapies.

In the meantime, I am thinking of getting a master's degree...But it's so expensive, I'm iffy on it.

Depends what you are thinking of doing with it. I really don't see the point, and don't think it makes financial sense, to pay for a master's if you are certain you are going to go on to get a doctorate to pursue a research career and can get someone to pay for it.

Hi everyone. I am curious as to which degree would be better for biomedical research, out of three options:

a. MD/PhD
b. PhD only
c. MD only

I'm at a point in my life where I'm supposed to be applying for graduate and/or professional schools, but now I'm not sure at all what I should apply to anymore. I've been looking at PhD programs, and to be honest, I am not as interested in PhD research as I am in MD research. At the same time, I've been studying science for so long that it's become a major part of my life blood. I can't imagine not doing some sort of research in the future and would probably not be happy getting bogged up in clinicals 24/7, since I would like some research in my life.

Given the economy currently, the only biomedical research pathway I can advise you to take is an MD/PhD. Even so, it's a path fraught with doubt and regret, all the way until you're done with the PhD component and even beyond. I'm in the "light at the end of the tunnel" MS3/4 years and I still have doubts about everything, naturally more so about the MD right now than the PhD (the exact opposite from 1 year ago).

The one exception would be a biomedical PhD at truly exceptional schools where it's likely you will be able to get the training, connections, and pedigree that will help you get some sort of tenure track position down the line....and those are places like Harvard, Stanford, Rockefeller, MIT, and a very few others.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're going to need to clarify a bit here. What do you see as "PhD research" as opposed to "MD research". Basic vs clinical research? A PhD can do pretty much any type of bench research just as well as any MD or MD/PhD, while the MD would be useful if you're doing clinical research.

What I'm looking at is the professors' personal biography; the research they are performing, their specialty, and their interests. I find that I am more drawn towards research which reflects a mindset geared towards the patients/sick than just delving towards scientific "truths" or "knowledge." I think that's important, but it's not as fun for me.

Well, being fully clinical would obviously make it difficult to have a successful research program, but plenty of successful researchers continue to have some clinical time (although usually dedicating the bulk of their time to research.

I'm not sure if you're talking about MD or MD/PhD. Are you talking about both? What's the ratio of time devoted to clinical vs. research, fifty fifty?

Depends what you are thinking of doing with it. I really don't see the point, and don't think it makes financial sense, to pay for a master's if you are certain you are going to go on to get a doctorate to pursue a research career and can get someone to pay for it.
That makes sense... I guess my problem is, I don't know where to go...

Last edited:
Given the economy currently, the only biomedical research pathway I can advise you to take is an MD/PhD. Even so, it's a path fraught with doubt and regret, all the way until you're done with the PhD component and even beyond. I'm in the "light at the end of the tunnel" MS3/4 years and I still have doubts about everything, naturally more so about the MD right now than the PhD (the exact opposite from 1 year ago).

The one exception would be a biomedical PhD at truly exceptional schools where it's likely you will be able to get the training, connections, and pedigree that will help you get some sort of tenure track position down the line....and those are places like Harvard, Stanford, Rockefeller, MIT, and a very few others.

I'm not sure about these doubts you speak of. They sound kind of scary.

I would love for either option to happen, but being realistic, I am not in a strong enough academic standing (cGPA: 3.69, AMCAS GPA: 3.5) and my research spans about 9 months. I'm not sure how competitive the latter option is, but I imagine it'd be quite hard to get into those ivy league schools.

I'm not sure about these doubts you speak of. They sound kind of scary.

I would love for either option to happen, but being realistic, I am not in a strong enough academic standing (cGPA: 3.69, AMCAS GPA: 3.5) and my research spans about 9 months. I'm not sure how competitive the latter option is, but I imagine it'd be quite hard to get into those ivy league schools.

Actually, your GPA would be very competitive for PhD programs. For MD it is so-so, and for MD-PhD it is mediocre but could be mitigated by other factors (MCAT, URM, etc.).

I have to agree and disagree with mercapto. I too can only advocate the MD-PhD. However, even a PhD from the top schools he listed provides perhaps a 1 in 10 proposition for a tenure track basic science position. Perhaps. Then again, it will position you for other jobs (industry, government, etc.), so it is still desirable over a PhD from a less prestigious school. Bottom line: think VERY hard about doing a PhD program (in isolation from an MD-PhD). Read the information here (the good and the bad) with an open mind. Meet a lot of grad students and postdocs. etc.

From the NIH workforce report (repackaged from multiple sources):
PhD --> 39% in Academia
MD/PhD --> 78% in Academic Medicine, ~48% doing Federally funded Research

Salaries: MD/PhD >> PhD

Job Security: MD/PhD >> PhD

Time to 1st R01: PhD > MD/PhD by less than a year

Long term investment on your research future: priceless ;)

Draw your own conclusions!

Wow! Fencer, you just cheered me up after a lousy day. Thanks!

To the OP, if your school has a PhD and MD/PhD program, my advice would be to talk to the program directors. They can help guide you on how competitive you are, and things you need to do to strengthen your application. While you're at it, talk to grad students and postdocs in your lab as well. If you're thinking MD, it won't hurt to shadow a doc.

It's a tough choice, and unfortunately, there are benefits and drawbacks to each of the three degrees. Best of luck to you!