Which is better overall DMU or UHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmuoruhs

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi:
Was accepted to UHS yesterday and interviewed at DMU today...while everything at UHS was great...people, facilities, etc...DMU was a little drab. The interviewers were bored and yawning (and it wasn't me doing that to them :)) However, many people tell me that the DMU program is more widely recognized. Anybody have any input on which one is considered a better osteopathic school? Also, are there any osteopathic school ranking websites? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Howdy,

fmfcorpsman, why?

dmuoruhs, what do you mean by drab? What else did you observe?

Thanks.

------------------
BSD
______
Work under the assumption that you will be happy one day

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to both, and now I am a MSIII at UHS (well, actually, I am IN St. Louis) and when I applied UHS certainly put their best foot forward! UHS is obviously into marketing and will always to a "first class" effort into selling their school, but truly, both schools are pretty equal. MANY people in my class where accepted into both programs and chose UHS.
If I had to chose between the two schools again, I would certainly have chosen UHS once more.

Thanks for the responses.

BigSkyDreams...After UHS'quick and exciting interview day, sitting at a table at DMU for three hours listening to presentation after presentation got a little boring. Also, the admissions office and financial aid staff at DMU aren't exactly "helpful"...being from Iowa, I didn't expect that kind of indifference.

FMFCORPSMAN, I'd like to know your reasons for naming DMU "far superior" other than their reputed OMM program

This is a difficult question to ask - because people are only going to have a one-sided opinion of each school - since I don't know anyone who went to both!! =)

UHS seemed really nice - more impressive as far as the campus. However, there were 2 things that I didn't like about UHS. First of all - the location...campus is not exactly in a "nice" area. Also - this year they implemented a new curriculum. I think that when you make big changes like that...changes will need to be made as it goes. I don't know about you, but I didn't want to be the guinnea pig for the new curriculum and find out that it wasn't a good idea after it was too late. As far as board scores - i understand that UHS does very well - however, we will not know if this new change has a positive or negative affect for another year or so...

I am very happy at DMU - and yes, we have a big rep for having a phenomenal OMM department. If you are not interested in it - this is not the school for you. having a reputation like this - you will be expected to know OMM when you get out on rotations and residency - and know it WELL!

To make the best decision...sit down and make a list of what things YOU want most in a medical school. Compare it with what each school has to offer!

best of luck -