Which is harder: getting into dental school or staying afloat once you're there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which is harder: getting into dental school or staying in once you're there?

• Getting in is more difficult.

Votes: 43 71.7%
  • Staying in is more difficult.

Votes: 17 28.3%

• Total voters

trypmo

Arch Fiend
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who are currently in dental school, or who have gone through and graduated, I'd like your opinion:

In your experience, which is more difficult, getting into dental school or staying in dental school?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think getting in.

The admissions people try to pick to their best ability those that they believe will succed in dental school. I mean why would they admit someone if they knew they were going to fail? That is lost revenue.

Once you are in, I noticed people are very motivated so it is rare they fall way behind. One thing about D-school, once you fall behind its near impossible to catch up and people know this so they do good. After all, we are only talking about the rest of your life!!! That alone is enough motivation for me :cool:

I say getting in.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a matter of simple statistics, getting in is hands-down more difficult. A significant fraction of applicants aren't accepted, but the overwhelming majority of dental students graduate once enrolled.

I agree with my above colleagues...

Getting in was the harder part.

Staying in is not that difficult.. Just know how to prioritize and keep up, be prompt with your assignments, don't procrastinate, make sure you have a circle of good classmates for mutual support and to compare notes on how to study, and make sacrifices when necessary to pass.

No magic or voodoo here...

definitely getting in.

dental schools, especially state schools, have a reason for you to pass. it's good for them in every respect.

in regard to the state schools, they have made a significant investment in you. tax dollars subsidize your education. if you dont make it, the state loses out just as much as you do.

at the state school i attend, nobody fails out except for lack of trying. no matter how poor or unskilled a student might be, if youre willing to work hard and learn, they will do what it takes to make you proficient.

I have to disagree. Maybe it was the time I applied (1986-87). We started with 82 ended up with 60 at the end of the first year.

Can someone tell me how many people apply for dental schools for how many spots? How about medical schools? any idea kids?

Thisisit, there are about 2 applicants for every available position in dental school; the same holds true for U.S. M.D. programs. Really not as competitive as a lot pf people make it out to be, but tough nonetheless. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone NOT graduating from my state school - though I'm sure there are some that probably shouldn't have. ;)

Originally posted by thisisit
I have to disagree. Maybe it was the time I applied (1986-87). We started with 82 ended up with 60 at the end of the first year.

Can someone tell me how many people apply for dental schools for how many spots? How about medical schools? any idea kids?
That's still a 75% pass rate, and I bet you didn't lose more than a couple people after that first weed-out year. I don't have official numbers ready to hand, but I'm pretty confident conjecturing that dental school acceptance rates are currently well under 75% of applicants.

My take when comparing dental to medical schools:

It's easier to get into dental school (more difficult to get into medical school).

It's easier to stay in medical school (more difficult to stay in dental school).

Now that isn't to say that staying in dental school is impossible--it simpy isn't. I don't expect anybody from my class to drop out or not make the grade cutoffs..but when compared to medical school I think it's more difficult to stay in dental school.

Maybe cause I'm in a school that dismissed a lot of people last year but staying in seems tougher. If you pulled all nighters in undergrad the night before a bio, chem, physics or orgo midterm/final you could get the A or B(if you worked efficiently) and that would get you into dental school but having to study about 2 hours a day regularly is more demanding. I don't know if that answers the question but I'm satisfied by the post.

Thisisit,

UCONN had over 1000 applications for 60 some seats.

endotom

endotom, that's a lot worse than 2:1 ratio someone else described!!! I was discussing MD and DDS acceptance rates with someone and I did not know the facts. can someone confirm these numbers by a link or fact sheet I can print. Thanks

endotom, that's a lot worse than 2:1 ratio someone else described!!! I was discussing MD and DDS acceptance rates with someone and I did not know the facts. can someone confirm these numbers by a link or fact sheet I can print. Thanks

The 2:1 ratio is of all the people that applied to any dental school, and the people that got an acceptance somewhere.

When you look at an individual school the ratio appears much worse since many people apply to multiple programs.

Here is some info that you might find useful:

Stats on med school applicants vs matriculants
http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2003/2003school.htm

Stats on dental school applicants vs matriculants
http://www.state.nd.us/lr/assembly/58-2003/bill-text/DGEV0300.pdf

http://www.nga.org/cda/files/VALACHOVIC.ppt

It seems as tho 55% of dental students get accepted, whereas 48% of medical students get accepted. However, med applicants have been declining for some time now. Hope this helps.

thank you people for all the great info.

Originally posted by endotom
Thisisit,

UCONN had over 1000 applications for 60 some seats.

endotom

Thank god it was more like 500 applicants for 50 spots when I was applying or else I might not have been a UCONNer/met my wife/had a kid/etc/etc/etc:wow: :wow: :D :D