Which is harder Medschool or pharmacyschool?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which is harder Medschool or pharmacyschool?

• Total voters

Puppet

Mullet Inspector
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
right now I'm deciding on whether to be a physician, phamacist, or nutritionist.

Right now I'm leaning towards nutrition because it's my true calling and it's easier.

Phamacist becasue it deals with drugs for medication which I'm also interested in, and offers a better sallery.

I like to help people and physicains are among the highest paid professions, but its a difficult job and has less of my interest then the other 2. Sorry for my grammer its late and I dont care

Members don't see this ad.

Puppet said:
right now I'm deciding on whether to be a physician, phamacist, or nutritionist.

Right now I'm leaning towards nutrition because it's my true calling and it's easier.

Phamacist becasue it deals with drugs for medication which I'm also interested in, and offers a better sallery.

I like to help people and physicains are among the highest paid professions, but its a difficult job and has less of my interest then the other 2. Sorry for my grammer its late and I dont care

I think you know the path to becoming a physician is more difficult than either of the other two choices you mentioned. Just be a nutritionist and be happy. That wasn't so hard, was it?

Though I have no basis for comparison (I'm a second year med student, i've never been to pharm school), med school is harder.

If the other professions interest you more, than do those. You will be absolutely miserable in med school if you don't want to be there or don't like the material of study.

Members don't see this ad :)
Medicine isn't only tougher, it's also much more difficult to get in when compared to pharmacy. I got into pharm school with my thumbs up my a$$. I also got into med school and the process was not quite as easy...

Your responses here will be subjective and biased, because after all, we are in a pre-medical forum. If you posted the same poll in the pharmacy section, you'd likely have many people defending the rigors of their profession as we are now. Anyhow, I will agree though, medical school is harder. I have heard both sides of the story, from medical doctors and from pharmacists, even in my own family.

Pharmacy school is challenging though; any graduate/professional school is. And I do admire the fact that they have an intricate knowledge of drug pathways and interactions. Having a good pharmalogical background I think would be a real strength to a medical doctor, especially when we are the ones prescribing medication.

I do know some clinical pharmacies now are allowing pharmacists to overwrite the doctor's prescriptions if they see some type of flaw in a simultaneous interaction with another drug the patient is taking, or if the patient's history dictates that they may need an alternative medication.

Anyway, everything has its own advantages and disadvantages. I know many, many other students that opted for pharmacy rather than medicine, and it had nothing to do with academics; just personal lifestyle.

I think they are the same (maybe medical a bit more challenging).

Pharmacy is hard at times but most of the time, no. It's just A LOT OF INFORMATION (and i'm sure it's the same with medicine), and pharmacy students go to class and study practically until the wee hours in the morning. So in terms of workload, I think it's about the same---in terms of difficulty, medical school may be a bit more challenging.

Puppet said:

I can see a war in the making.... my friend is at Univ of KY for pharm school and honestly he doesn't work but maybe like 4 weeks out of the semester. work meaning study for his tests. but that's just him. I'm sure there's people like at med school. but yeah.... the questions is gonna be bias. and don't choose ur profession over whatever is easier. choose it cuz u love it. personally, i can't stand behind a counter and I need more control. but that's just me! find ur reasoning.

Puppet said:

You can make more money with a Bachelor's degree in almost anything than a Master's Degree in Nutrition. I just spoke to Dietician, and she said they make $30-40,000 a year.

You make about $70,000-80,000 a year as a Pharmacist.

The lowest paid of all physicians, Family Medicine physicians, make about $120,000 a year.

Cozmosis said:
Pharm is TOUGH. Pharmacology and all its spinoffs are ridiculously complicated. Not something for the faint of heart...

True... Honestly, medicine isn't rocket science. It's not even that hard. They will beat everything that is important into your head throughout all your training. The first 2 years of med school is a crash course in medical vocabulary. 3rd year you learn how to apply the basic sciences you learned in the first 2 years (aka, you learn what the words actually mean). And 4th year is easy street.

Medicine isn't harder than pharmacy school b/c of the topics, or how complicated the material is.... It's the sacrifice in time that makes it mentally grueling (4 years of med school + 3-7 years in residency). And don't forget the countless nights of call you will do starting in 3rd year--sucks when all your buddies are boozing. I can't tell you how many 80+ work weeks I spent at the hospital during my inpatient 3rd year rotations... and that doesn't count the time I had to study for my shelf exams.

Pharmacy school is like 70% female, at least there's plenty to look at during class.

meister said:
What answer do you expect in a Pre-Allo forum? 90% of the people answering the poll have no real clue, honestly.

Pharmacy school is tougher than most people think..
it's actually pretty comparable to med school ( at least in Canada ).

BUT, Pharmacy is also a LOT easier to get into.. the PCAT is a joke like the GPA requirement.

Members don't see this ad :)
OSUdoc08 said:
You can make more money with a Bachelor's degree in almost anything than a Master's Degree in Nutrition. I just spoke to Dietician, and she said they make $30-40,000 a year.

You make about $70,000-80,000 a year as a Pharmacist.

The lowest paid of all physicians, Family Medicine physicians, make about $120,000 a year.

Actually... there are many physicians that still make under $100K a year. Some family medicine, internal medicine, and pediatricians fall in this category (including my own sister who was internal medicine).

If you want to do nutrition, my advice would be to go to pharmacy school and then specialize in inpatient nutrition. I think their job is pretty cool, they get paid 50-70K (i think) and it's really easy too. At my hospital they take care of all the inpatient nutrition consults... basically they calculate caloric/protein/lipid/Free water needs for all the patients that are critically ill. Usually their main patients are ICU players, vented patients, or post-op patients who have NG tubes or G-tubes requireing supplemental nutrition. They also take care of vitamen requirements and TPN administration and formulation.

WoW...2 days and the OP, supposedly a high school sophomore, already knows how to make a poll with usernames identified to responses. I've noticed people who have a been a member for months cant even do that....GO FIGURE... :rolleyes:

MadameLULU said:
WoW...2 days and the OP, supposedly a high school sophomore, already knows how to make a poll with usernames identified to responses. I've noticed people who have a been a member for months cant even do that....GO FIGURE... :rolleyes:

Wasn't it also 2 days ago when the OP knew being a doctor was its true calling and now it's nutrition or pharmacology :confused: Then earlier the OP posted a thread on disadvantages of Caribbean med schools.

Why the sudden switch? I know the OP is young but I thought medicine (doctor) was the true calling?

Well I knew some sort of medice occupation was what I wanted. Then I started hearing how difficult the road to becoming a doctor was, so I backed down. Pharmacy appeals to me even more then a Doctor, and its easier. Nutrition Is what I really love, but I'm afraid that nutritionists arnt going to be employed as much becasue other people can do their job. Like Doctors and Nurses that majored in Nutrition. They also only make around 40,000 a year which isnt the best compared to my other favorite job, a pharmacist.

Thats why I've been flip-flopping so much. I know you say I have time but Its better to find it now, So I have more time to prepare my self and take the rights classes.

Also what is OP, is that some kind of newb term?

Puppet said:
Well I knew some sort of medice occupation was what I wanted. Then I started hearing how difficult the road to becoming a doctor was, so I backed down. Pharmacy appeals to me even more then a Doctor, and its easier. Nutrition Is what I really love, but I'm afraid that nutritionists arnt going to be employed as much becasue other people can do their job. Like Doctors and Nurses that majored in Nutrition. They also only make around 40,000 a year which isnt the best compared to my other favorite job, a pharmacist.

Thats why I've been flip-flopping so much. I know you say I have time but Its better to find it now, So I have more time to prepare my self and take the rights classes.

Also what is OP, is that some kind of newb term?

OP is original poster

Yes, the path to becoming a doctor is a long and difficult path. However, if you are truly set to become a doctor, push for it and don't lose sight of your goals and then eventually you may become a doctor, maybe even a great one!
If you want tot be a pharmacist, spent some time in their area, i'm sure they'll tell you lots and if you click some of the sticky's they are very informative.

But remember you are only in 10th grade, you have lots if time. Do well in high school, take AP classes, take the SAT or the ACT, get into college, see your advisor and they will help you plan your class schedules.

But remember things don't always go as planned and you may hit a few bumps in the road, but don't give up or lose sight of your dreams and goals. :thumbup: :luck:

When you say "supposedly a high school sophomore", You show that you have some doubt about my education. I am infact a Sophmore in highschool. Just turned 16 in December.

i cant even believe this thread exists..lol :laugh:

MadameLULU said:
SDN IS NOT THE ONLY INTERNET FORUM

shocking, huh? Within a nanosecond of registering here, I had already learned how to post the :) and ;) smilies, as well as post images, URLs, bolded text, and even italics!

:rolleyes:

Nearly all vB sites are created the same.

drguy22 said:
i cant even believe this thread exists..lol :laugh:

Just more proof that med school is wierdly similar to high school

TheProwler said:
SDN IS NOT THE ONLY INTERNET FORUM

shocking, huh? Within a nanosecond of registering here, I had already learned how to post the :) and ;) smilies, as well as post images, URLs, bolded text, and even italics!

:rolleyes:

Nearly all vB sites are created the same.

Why don't you chill out. :rolleyes: You obviously didn't get what I was implying.
Let me be explicit. :rolleyes: I think the OP is obviously a troll. Check out his/her previous posts...

Well lets see, I have no interest in pharmacy, and a lot in medicine, so I think pharmacy would be a hell of a lot harder for me!

Lets ask a highly specialized person who loves their career whether he thought his career was easier or harder then being a physician... duh his is easier, because he likes it.

Now lets take someone who is a physican for the money, and only the money. Now that is a difficult career choice, and life will be difficult.

Give me one reason why you think Im a troll because Im not. Why are you being a doctor anyways, its obvious you dont like to help people. I create topics like these to make sure Im heading in my right career path 100%. I research alot more then the average person, and some people dont understand that. In 2 years I go to college. Wouldnt it make sence to pick a career before you go. Many dont but its better if you do. IMO.

What reason do you have to call me a troll I still dont understand

MadameLULU said:
Why don't you chill out. :rolleyes: You obviously didn't get what I was implying.
Let me be explicit. :rolleyes: I think the OP is obviously a troll. Check out his/her previous posts...
I realize that you think the OP is a troll, but you also seem oblivious to the fact that it's not really surprising that somebody knows how to make a poll.

I don't see how you can really make this comparison since I doubt too many people have attended both med school and pharmacy school. Although, I have a friend up at UCSF pharmacy and seems to me they get worked just as badly as a med student.

waterski232002 said:
Actually... there are many physicians that still make under $100K a year. Some family medicine, internal medicine, and pediatricians fall in this category (including my own sister who was internal medicine).

If you want to do nutrition, my advice would be to go to pharmacy school and then specialize in inpatient nutrition. I think their job is pretty cool, they get paid 50-70K (i think) and it's really easy too. At my hospital they take care of all the inpatient nutrition consults... basically they calculate caloric/protein/lipid/Free water needs for all the patients that are critically ill. Usually their main patients are ICU players, vented patients, or post-op patients who have NG tubes or G-tubes requireing supplemental nutrition. They also take care of vitamen requirements and TPN administration and formulation.

No you are incorrect the dietitian does the diet counseling, pharmacist does drug counseling, the dietitian decides the protein/calorie needs of the patient, the pharmacist makes the tpn(total parenteral nutrition) mix. A lot of times the dietitians and pharmacists round together. I am a dietitian who works in the ICU and I am starting pharmacy school this fall.