Which is harder to come back to US.... foreign trained dentist vs IMG?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greenleaf10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know any kind of special residency for IMGs like surgery or ER is much harder but what about comparing it to internal medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

IMG means medical doctors? If so, I personally think, it's waaaaaay easier for people with foreign education to get licensed in the US if they are medical doctors than it is for foreign dentists. The reasons I think so are:

- Foreign MDs don't need to go through additional education in the US. They take/pass USMLE exams, apply for residency and most get addmitted.
- A very uniform system is in place for medical residency application, while applications to advanced standing programs for dentists are highly school-dependent.
-You don't need to get in debt while going through additional school. Residency pays you.
- USMLE are very tough tests as well, but grading systems seem to be different. I know many foreign MDs who got 99 (!!!) on their 1st or 2nd test (clinical or theory), and I have not heard of a single dentist who had NBDE 1 and particularly 2 at thal level (of course, there are some but not many).

It's funny that you ask though, since usually by the time you think about this we would have already made our choices:). I never regretted becoming a dentist though. :)

I know any kind of special residency for IMGs like surgery or ER is much harder but what about comparing it to internal medicine?