Which is harder to get into, private school with lower stats or state school higher?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheAppleJuice

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide whether I have a better chance at Wake Forest (Private) or UNC Chapel Hill (In State)

UNC interviews almost 500 of their ~1100 in state applicants. that's a pretty good number. their stats are about 512/3.75

Wake has a much lower MCAT/GPA range but only interviews 115 out of 875 NC applicants. I'm trying to reconcile that in my head; how can a state school have higher stats but accept so many people from in state compared to a neighboring private school with lower stats (and that accepts far fewer NC applicants). are the 875 a completely different pool of applicants that UNC's 1100? I'd assume many people would apply to both from in state..

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Why does it matter? It's not like you can only apply to one, unless you're trying to do ED. If that's the case then you should really rethink because ED is basically only appropriate for people who can't relocate.

Reactions: 1 users
Why does it matter? It's not like you can only apply to one, unless you're trying to do ED. If that's the case then you should really rethink because ED is basically only appropriate for people who can't relocate.
LOL i suppose it won't matter when I find out where/if I get in; I think i was just more curious about why wake interviews far fewer NC applicants. does that mean NC applicants are not that good? then how does UNC get away with accepting so many and maintaining pretty good stats? could wake just be rejecting a lot of good applicants?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm trying to decide whether I have a better chance at Wake Forest (Private) or UNC Chapel Hill (In State)

UNC interviews almost 500 of their ~1100 in state applicants. that's a pretty good number. their stats are about 512/3.75

Wake has a much lower MCAT/GPA range but only interviews 115 out of 875 NC applicants. I'm trying to reconcile that in my head; how can a state school have higher stats but accept so many people from in state compared to a neighboring private school with lower stats (and that accepts far fewer NC applicants). are the 875 a completely different pool of applicants that UNC's 1100? I'd assume many people would apply to both from in state..

thanks
They (UNC) are very selective in who they admit. It's a very good research school, so they will pull in more high quality Tarheels who want to stay close to home.

And yes, the two schools have different applicant pools.

If you think your stats and app will be in about the top 40% of instate apps, then you should be ok. If your stats and app will be in the top 25%, you should be almost certain to get an II unless you have something glaring.

UNC has a mission to accept and train UNC residents. Wake doesn't have that mission.

What are the lower stats for Wake?

If you think your stats and app will be in about the top 40% of instate apps, then you should be ok. If your stats and app will be in the top 25%, you should be almost certain to get an II unless you have something glaring.

UNC has a mission to accept and train UNC residents. Wake doesn't have that mission.

What are the lower stats for Wake?
honestly, not that much lower lol 511/3.63 but their "range" stretches pretty far down and UNC's upper range is WAY higher than wakes (like a 520 vs a 513

Reactions: 1 user
Also look at matriculants (instead of accepted), might give you more accurate data for GPA/MCAT. At most schools the numbers drop a bit for matriculants.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

After reading this, I'm realizing applying to wake might have been a mistake. My MCAT is at least one full standard deviation above their 90th percentile. Despite a low GPA, I feel my MCAT puts me way outside the "low yield" range. I wonder how they choose applicants.

After reading this, I'm realizing applying to wake might have been a mistake. My MCAT is at least one full standard deviation above their 90th percentile. Despite a low GPA, I feel my MCAT puts me way outside the "low yield" range. I wonder how they choose applicants.
I think they could maintain a median a lot higher than 511 if they wanted. Wake is solidly middle private alongside places like Miami or Einstein, which are 513 and 516 medians and range up to 519-520. I think they actually just put more emphasis into ECs/app outside the numbers at Wake. If they like the rest of your app I don't think they'll skip you because of the MCAT.

Reactions: 2 users
I think they could maintain a median a lot higher than 511 if they wanted. Wake is solidly middle private alongside places like Miami or Einstein, which are 513 and 516 medians and range up to 519-520. I think they actually just put more emphasis into ECs/app outside the numbers at Wake. If they like the rest of your app I don't think they'll skip you because of the MCAT.

I'm kind of hoping they don't just toss mine out as it's a great location and would be an excellent option. This makes me feel a little better.

thanks

Plus, by law UNC's medical school class of 180 (last I checked) must be made up of 85% NC residents. So there's that.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

From experience, I can tell you that getting into UNC is a literal crapshoot (not unlike getting into med school in general haha). I went to undergrad there so I know a lot of people who interviewed, myself included. There will be a lot of headscratchers each way- people you swore would get in but didn't and people you swore wouldn't even get an interview that UNC loved.