Which is more important for DO and Podiatry admission, overall or science GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Intel1122

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering which is looked at closely, the overall gpa or the science gpa.
Just curious... but I figured it would be science, since you aren't taking english or math classes in Med school, you are taking science classes.

Let us say there are 2 candidates, one with a 3.4 overall gpa and a 3.8 science and another with a 3.8 overall and a 3.4 science and the same mcat and yadadada ... Who would get in?

Members don't see this ad.

In general, you need both. A candidate with a high cGPA and a poor sGPA is filling up their schedule with easy basket weaving courses. A candidate with a low cGPA and a high sGPA doesn't respect course material they aren't interested in.

Reactions: 1 user
In general, you need both. A candidate with a high cGPA and a poor sGPA is filling up their schedule with easy basket weaving courses. A candidate with a low cGPA and a high sGPA doesn't respect course material they aren't interested in.
so what do you think about a 3.4 overall, 3.8 science gpa.... person has a recent degree gpa of a 3.6.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering which is looked at closely, the overall gpa or the science gpa.
Just curious... but I figured it would be science, since you aren't taking english or math classes in Med school, you are taking science classes.

Let us say there are 2 candidates, one with a 3.4 overall gpa and a 3.8 science and another with a 3.8 overall and a 3.4 science and the same mcat and yadadada ... Who would get in?

This is actually a hard one imo. But I would imagine adcoms going for the 3.8 sGPA because after all, that's most relevant to medical schools.

This is actually a hard one imo. But I would imagine adcoms going for the 3.8 sGPA because after all, that's most relevant to medical schools.
MD schools are required to submit aggregate data for the Cgpa only, not Sgpa.
For Deans, the Cgpa is how you are remembered.
It may differ for other degrees.

Reactions: 1 user