Which is more important to take first Biochem or Physics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjg713

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am finishing up my post-bacc classes and about to take the DAT soon. I will only be able to take one before applying to dental school and I am not sure which I should take first. One part of me says Biochem because it will help with the DAT and another part of me says Physics 2 because it is a definite pre-req for all schools and there is a chance I can get accepted to a school that does not even require Biochem. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

You should take physics II the semester after physics I. Also, requirements just need to be completed before you matriculate.

Well I took Physics 1 last Spring so thats impossible. Why does it have to be the semester after? I heard Physics 2 has little to do with Physics 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I took Physics 1 last Spring so thats impossible. Why does it have to be the semester after? I heard Physics 2 has little to do with Physics 1.

They may be different but it's still physics. I guess it doesn't matter then, they both will affect your GPAs the same.

My school requires biochem for bio majors..
It's a 5cr hr class too.. Boo

Take Biochem before the DAT. Biochem can help you at least get better on some concepts before DAT.

I am finishing up my post-bacc classes and about to take the DAT soon. I will only be able to take one before applying to dental school and I am not sure which I should take first. One part of me says Biochem because it will help with the DAT and another part of me says Physics 2 because it is a definite pre-req for all schools and there is a chance I can get accepted to a school that does not even require Biochem. Any advice?

what would make more sense is biochem... at least there is a slight chance it will help with DAT.

what is physics2 going to help you with?

You should take physics II the semester after physics I. Also, requirements just need to be completed before you matriculate.

I disagree about taking physics sequentially being necessary. There is basically nothing from physics 1 that I needed to know for physics 2 this semester (and I took a 2 year break between physics 1 and physics 2).

Introductory physics is just an array of topics for the most part. You learn about one thing and then move on to the next...it's kind of like introductory biology in that way, which you also don't have to take in sequence (versus the chemistries, where you actually should take them sequentially because the topics build on each other more).

I would say that my physics 2 grade has in no way been affected by the fact that I didn't take the classes in sequence, because it didn't require me to put any extra work in as I never needed to look over or review physics 1 stuff for physics 2.

See my response to Hawkteeth above.

So yeah, just take whichever class you think will be more useful to you and don't worry about having to take physics 1 and 2 in sequence, because you really don't. I would take biochemistry, personally, because it might help you with the DAT.

I agree with your reasoning.Physics isn't on DAT.Biochem may help your DAT. Just make sure you've completed it by matriculation.Best of luck(BOL) to you! E!