Which is one of these options better?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Petor16

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to plan for my future schedules and I currently have a lot of options for major/minor combinations. I graduated high school with an associate degree and so I can easily graduate in 3 years. I am majoring in Biochemistry and currently am planning on getting minors in biology, chemistry, and one of psychology, sociology or computational neuroscience. I also have the ability to double major in Biology and Biochemistry (keep chemistry minor) in the three years if I wanted to but I think that has more potential for bad than good.

I've been toying around, and if I wanted to I could get 4 majors in 4 years. They would be Biochemistry, Biology, Chemistry, and Nutrition and Exercise Science.

Right now I'm leaning towards just the 1 major and 3 minors in 3 years and using the year to do research while completing interviews (assuming I do well on the MCAT). Would one plan look better than the others or realistically should I just get one major that I enjoy and can do well in and fill in with other classes?

My current plan for the MCAT is to take it next spring in my second year (taking physics 2 and biochem 1 in that semester). Is that an awful idea to burn one year of eligibility with that score or should I push it back a semester? I am hesitant to push it back to the next fall in my three-year plan because then I would be taking my likely hardest class (physical biochemistry) and I wouldn't be able to get a full year research position.

Members don't see this ad.

Pick a major you enjoy and take classes that interest you. If that results in 4 majors, great. But I don’t think 4 majors will give you any advantages by ADCOMs. The research year sounds good, but you still need to get all of your other ECs in line. I personally think clinical experience is greater than research but both have their place.

Reactions: 1 user
I am trying to plan for my future schedules and I currently have a lot of options for major/minor combinations. I graduated high school with an associate degree and so I can easily graduate in 3 years. I am majoring in Biochemistry and currently am planning on getting minors in biology, chemistry, and one of psychology, sociology or computational neuroscience. I also have the ability to double major in Biology and Biochemistry (keep chemistry minor) in the three years if I wanted to but I think that has more potential for bad than good.

I've been toying around, and if I wanted to I could get 4 majors in 4 years. They would be Biochemistry, Biology, Chemistry, and Nutrition and Exercise Science.

Right now I'm leaning towards just the 1 major and 3 minors in 3 years and using the year to do research while completing interviews (assuming I do well on the MCAT). Would one plan look better than the others or realistically should I just get one major that I enjoy and can do well in and fill in with other classes?

My current plan for the MCAT is to take it next spring in my second year (taking physics 2 and biochem 1 in that semester). Is that an awful idea to burn one year of eligibility with that score or should I push it back a semester? I am hesitant to push it back to the next fall in my three-year plan because then I would be taking my likely hardest class (physical biochemistry) and I wouldn't be able to get a full year research position.
Just as an FYI, med schools do not care about your major or minor, only that you do well.

Reactions: 1 user