Which is the best reducing agent of this group?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virtualmaster999

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Little confused on this question:

"Which would act as a reducing agent?"
Cl-, IO^3-, Cl2, F2, Zn2+

So reducing agent means it's gonna be oxidized. I can see why cl2, f2 are eliminated right away, as they have an oxidation state of 0 and are reduced. And Zn can be eliminated since it's oxidation number is +2, and cant go higher.

I got tripped up on the last 2. In the answer's explanation, it goes over how Cl- has an oxidation number of -1 and IO^3- has an oxidation number of +5 for I. Both can be oxidized, but Cl- is the answer.

For these type of questions, is it the higher the oxidation number the less likely it is to be reduced/oxidized? Like Cl- would have a "better chance" of being oxidized?

Could anyone clear this up for me? Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I believe that at Cl2 and F2, it can't be reducing agent, is because you technically can't loose any more electrons from those two elements.
As for Zinc, you are correct that it won't be able to lose any more electrons bc it reached its limit, and can only gain.

But it might have to do when you compare the molecules in it of themselves. Iodine might have a solid stability with all the oxygen ions surrounding it. Iodine is already oxidized with "oxygen" molecules as the chlorine is obviously not. That is how I would compare those final two answers.

But if someone can verify or explain better, that would be helpful!

Cl- has a -1 charge meaning extra e-, so it can lose it "oxidized" thus it is a reducing agent. IO3-, this specie overall charge is - but the - charge is more because of the O, not the I. The I has +5 that is why it is not the answer.