Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Which is the best retail pharmacy to work for?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by freshbeatschris, Nov 21, 2005.

1. freshbeatschris

freshbeatschris New Phuture
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    All you pharm techs out there, who loves their job and why?

Chris

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. pharmaz88

10+ Year Member

The one that will hire you, and work around your school schedule.

...within a chain, non-24 hr stores are better, so you don't get stuck working on X-Mas or T-Day.

3. npage148

npage148 Senior Member
    PhD Pharmacist 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Actually, im working for a 24 hours store and it works out very good. They are more flexiable when it comes to hours. I have class till 5-6 4 nights of the week. If the store closed at 9, id be getting maybe 2-3 hours as night at the job which is a waste IMO. I will work till 11 making the shift a 4-5 hours shift which is nice. Plus the night pharm will love you more than their significant other if you are willing to work to 11

A 24 hour store by name has longer weekend hours so you can have more time to work then too. If the schedule maker doesnt hate you he/she will not make you work on holidays. I'm on rather good terms with mine and she gives me off pretty much anytime i need given i help her out when she needs it. Plus working x-mas night isnt that bad especially if you do all your celebrations in teh morning

What will make a store best is who you work with. I like my store, but other people hate at the same chain will hate their store. Just avoid a drive through (they are the devil) and upper class suburban stores (bitchiest costomers IMO)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. kevintech

kevintech Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Do you pharm-techs get paid extra for working on holidays?

5. Carboxilic774

Carboxilic774 Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I like your questions!!!!
    I might be getting a job as a pharm tech but they have requested a credit check...do you think they wont't hire me if my credit is only fair.
    THANK YOU

6. TyrannosaurusRx

TyrannosaurusRx Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    A credit check!? How weird. Are you applying for educational assistance or something? I can't imagine not getting hired over something as silly as bad credit. They're giving you money, not loaning you money. If they don't hire you, try another pharmacy.

7. julierx

julierx Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I work in a hospital, and on certain holidays (thanksgiving, christmas, etc.) I get paid time and a half.

8. Carboxilic774

Carboxilic774 Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    At first they said it was going to be a "background check" which is fine, but the reading the disclosure form, it says they will do a "cosumer report".
    No they are not giving me anything... I wish they were... I am only planning to work there part time since they won't pay me much.
    Maybe I am just worrying too much, we will see...
    THANK YOU

9. mekarual

mekarual extraordinary machine
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I work in HR right now, so I can answer this. They aren't actually doing a credit check. The Fair Credit Reporting Act requires that paper you read be given to every person you run a background check on, whether it be criminal, motor vehicle, workers comp, credit, etc. They would only legally be allowed to run a credit check if they asked you beforehand and you knew that you were signing the authorization form knowing that they were running your credit.

Geez, I hate HR. I need to get into Pharm school soon before I go crazy!

10. Carboxilic774

Carboxilic774 Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
  11. bananaface

bananaface Pharmacy Supernerd
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    A good store is generally defined by the manager in charge, not the name on the outside. I always look at what questions I am being asked in an interview. If I am being put through a rigorous selection process, I know that my manager has high standards for everyone on staff. The shortest interview I had was about 2 minutes long. I was asked if I had a licence and when I could start. I declined the position. They didn't even screen for criminal history or ask why I left my last job.

12. freshbeatschris

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Totally off the subject, but your avatar really turned me upsidedown for a moment. That's pretty groovy!

13. b*rizzle

b*rizzle Master of Useless Info
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    :love: :love: Target :love: :love:

I adore my job because it's not Eckerd...

...that and my PM is really awesome...

14. PHARMDhope2b

PHARMDhope2b Future Reseacher
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    WALLY WORLD IS THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

TWO YEARS NOW, AND STILL ENJOYING IT.(for it to be retail)

15. crossjb

crossjb Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

16. freshbeatschris

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    A few questions...

Do you have a drive thru?

How many scripts would you say you do on an average day?

Is your pharmacy 24 hours?

Thanks in advance. I'm just really trying to get a feel for the different retail options out there.

Chris