freshbeatschris

New Phuture
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 17, 2004
Illinois
Status
Pharmacy Student
All you pharm techs out there, who loves their job and why?

Chris

pharmaz88

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2003
Visit site
Status
The one that will hire you, and work around your school schedule.

...within a chain, non-24 hr stores are better, so you don't get stuck working on X-Mas or T-Day.

npage148

15+ Year Member
May 2, 2005
Us
Status
Pharmacist
Actually, im working for a 24 hours store and it works out very good. They are more flexiable when it comes to hours. I have class till 5-6 4 nights of the week. If the store closed at 9, id be getting maybe 2-3 hours as night at the job which is a waste IMO. I will work till 11 making the shift a 4-5 hours shift which is nice. Plus the night pharm will love you more than their significant other if you are willing to work to 11

A 24 hour store by name has longer weekend hours so you can have more time to work then too. If the schedule maker doesnt hate you he/she will not make you work on holidays. I'm on rather good terms with mine and she gives me off pretty much anytime i need given i help her out when she needs it. Plus working x-mas night isnt that bad especially if you do all your celebrations in teh morning

What will make a store best is who you work with. I like my store, but other people hate at the same chain will hate their store. Just avoid a drive through (they are the devil) and upper class suburban stores (bitchiest costomers IMO)

About the Ads

Carboxilic774

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2005
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I like your questions!!!!
I might be getting a job as a pharm tech but they have requested a credit check...do you think they wont't hire me if my credit is only fair.
THANK YOU

TyrannosaurusRx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2005
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
CARBON774 said:
I like your questions!!!!
I might be getting a job as a pharm tech but they have requested a credit check...do you think they wont't hire me if my credit is only fair.
THANK YOU
A credit check!? How weird. Are you applying for educational assistance or something? I can't imagine not getting hired over something as silly as bad credit. They're giving you money, not loaning you money. If they don't hire you, try another pharmacy.

julierx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2005
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
kevintech said:
Do you pharm-techs get paid extra for working on holidays?
I work in a hospital, and on certain holidays (thanksgiving, christmas, etc.) I get paid time and a half.

Carboxilic774

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2005
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
At first they said it was going to be a "background check" which is fine, but the reading the disclosure form, it says they will do a "cosumer report".
No they are not giving me anything... I wish they were... I am only planning to work there part time since they won't pay me much.
Maybe I am just worrying too much, we will see...
THANK YOU

mekarual

extraordinary machine
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2005
Aurora, CO
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
CARBON774 said:
At first they said it was going to be a "background check" which is fine, but the reading the disclosure form, it says they will do a "cosumer report".
No they are not giving me anything... I wish they were... I am only planning to work there part time since they won't pay me much.
Maybe I am just worrying too much, we will see...
THANK YOU
I work in HR right now, so I can answer this. They aren't actually doing a credit check. The Fair Credit Reporting Act requires that paper you read be given to every person you run a background check on, whether it be criminal, motor vehicle, workers comp, credit, etc. They would only legally be allowed to run a credit check if they asked you beforehand and you knew that you were signing the authorization form knowing that they were running your credit.

Geez, I hate HR. I need to get into Pharm school soon before I go crazy!

bananaface

Pharmacy Supernerd
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2004
gone to seed
Status
Pharmacist
A good store is generally defined by the manager in charge, not the name on the outside. I always look at what questions I am being asked in an interview. If I am being put through a rigorous selection process, I know that my manager has high standards for everyone on staff. The shortest interview I had was about 2 minutes long. I was asked if I had a licence and when I could start. I declined the position. They didn't even screen for criminal history or ask why I left my last job.

freshbeatschris

New Phuture
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 17, 2004
Illinois
Status
Pharmacy Student
Totally off the subject, but your avatar really turned me upsidedown for a moment. That's pretty groovy!

b*rizzle

Master of Useless Info
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2004
Status
Pharmacist
:love: :love: Target :love: :love:

I adore my job because it's not Eckerd...

...that and my PM is really awesome...

PHARMDhope2b

Future Reseacher
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2005
Status
Pharmacy Student
WALLY WORLD IS THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

TWO YEARS NOW, AND STILL ENJOYING IT.(for it to be retail)

freshbeatschris

New Phuture
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 17, 2004
Illinois
Status
Pharmacy Student
A few questions...

Do you have a drive thru?

How many scripts would you say you do on an average day?

Is your pharmacy 24 hours?

Thanks in advance. I'm just really trying to get a feel for the different retail options out there.

Chris

About the Ads