Which job during my gap year(s)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated in June and will be applying to medical schools in June 2014. I have a lower than average GPA (3.3) so I know I need to shoot for a 35 on my MCAT to even have a chance. Here are my extracurriculars to date:

-4 years volunteer at a surgery center
-2 years volunteer at a company that offers reconstructive surgery to underprivileged children (which I will continue until I apply next year)
-2 years working in an Alzheimer's research lab performing stains on brain slides
-few months volunteer in radiology department aiding the rad techs
-tons of shadowing (family medicine, anesthesia, surgery)
-Will be starting shadowing with a pathologist soon
- I also am going to shadow more doctors (radiology, EM hopefully)
-Good LORs
-Will be training for a half-marthon soon.

My question is whether I should be looking for a job in research or in healthcare? I have a degree in neuroscience and some research experience, so it's kinda hard to get a "good" job in a lab. Do you think it would be better for my application to get more clinical work experience such as working with elders in homes, or should I focus on getting a research related position?

Thank you for your suggestions!

Members don't see this ad.

My $0.02 is that it looks like you have all your boxes checked for your application so I would pick a job that interests you the most and pays well. Do what you want to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say a research job just because it's less energetically demanding than a hospital job and the schedule is more flexible.

I graduated in June and will be applying to medical schools in June 2014. I have a lower than average GPA (3.3) so I know I need to shoot for a 35 on my MCAT to even have a chance. Here are my extracurriculars to date:

-4 years volunteer at a surgery center
-2 years volunteer at a company that offers reconstructive surgery to underprivileged children (which I will continue until I apply next year)
-2 years working in an Alzheimer's research lab performing stains on brain slides
-few months volunteer in radiology department aiding the rad techs
-tons of shadowing (family medicine, anesthesia, surgery)
-Will be starting shadowing with a pathologist soon
- I also am going to shadow more doctors (radiology, EM hopefully)
-Good LORs
-Will be training for a half-marthon soon.

My question is whether I should be looking for a job in research or in healthcare? I have a degree in neuroscience and some research experience, so it's kinda hard to get a "good" job in a lab. Do you think it would be better for my application to get more clinical work experience such as working with elders in homes, or should I focus on getting a research related position?

Thank you for your suggestions!

You're strong in both clinical and research. Either job will do, as long as it helps pay the bills. Just rock the MCAT. Good luck!

Anything else that would help me??? Maybe non-medical volunteering?

If you have time, sure. A teaching volunteer gig can do wonders for your chances at some schools.

What about doing stuff like Salvation Army? Would that be looked at as "only doing it for the application?"

Do you have a reason you want to volunteer for them? What would you be doing for them?

Oh that was just an idea haha. I am just looking for something non medically related since I have already got medical volunteer.

The best thing you can do is find a cause that you're passionate about. Those are the activities that you will most likely enjoy doing, commit to throughout the year, and probably be the easiest to talk about during your interviews.

The best thing you can do is find a cause that you're passionate about. Those are the activities that you will most likely enjoy doing, commit to throughout the year, and probably be the easiest to talk about during your interviews.

What about a position volunteering to be an adult literacy tutor?