Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

which job to take

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by murph, Oct 25, 2002.

1. murph

murph Member
    7+ Year Member

I am a sophmore pre-med and I have two job offers that will give me good medical experiance, I am not sure which to take.

#1. Nurses assistant at a walk in clinic for migrant farm workers, low pay long hours

#2. Er. Tech at a level II trauma center graveyard shifts, more money.

both will help me, and it is not a matter of money, which is better.HelpMe!

2. DrQuinn

DrQuinn My name is Neo
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

My opinion doesn't really speak of which will help you get into medical school, but I would do the ER tech. You'll be able to see and do a lot more, and will have a lot more stories to tell about it.

3. lady bug

7+ Year Member

I would take the ER tech. You'll probably get to do more medically related stuff with that. I know a girl who's an ER tech, and she always talks about assisting with surgeries and some bizarre and interesting cases that she gets to see. Most nurses assistants are just doing scutwork (tasks that the nurses don't want to do). It may be different with this...just make sure to find out exactly what your job entails and think about what you would enjoy more.

4. maysqrd

maysqrd Go A's!
    7+ Year Member

I did the ER for my clinical experience and IT WAS WORTH IT!!!

5. s42brown

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I am an ER tech. Take the ER position. I started working in an ER, level I, about a month ago. Since then I have performed CPR, cleaned a guys hand after he stuck it into a meat grinder, yes a meat grinder, and assisted a plastic surgery procedure. It is great experience and you get a good chance to talk to the doctors, more often than as a nurses aid.

cutty:p :p

6. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm a technician as well...or I WAS before medical school started (now I'm a professional student!)

I would go for this job. You will see more, do more, and probably enjoy it more.

I've done both, by the way. (CNA and ED Tech)

7. H0mersimps0n

H0mersimps0n HMO CRUSHER
    10+ Year Member

Since I've started my EMT job for a major urban EMS provider in Rochester, NY my life has been enriched/enlightened in ways I can not describe...

IMO Emergency medicine will give you the quickest exposure to the unlimited things you will undoubtedly run across in medicine (for now), from the poorest to the richest, oldest to youngest, bloody and battered, deformed and even the dead. You'll feel emotions you never thought you had and learn to control yourself in tight spots when there's no time for emotions (ED or EMT, regardless).

Priceless experiences... changed my life and really kept me motivated during application process for oh so many reasons.....

8. murph

murph Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey thanks for the advice, it has really helped.

9. femdoc

femdoc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Is formal training required to be an ER tech?