Which lab should I go join?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

contentlie868

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my first post here, so sorry if I mess something up lol

Bit of background: I'm a current freshman who wants to do an MD, maybeee an MD/PhD but not sure. I met with a couple PI’s to join their labs and I’m not sure which one to choose. I’m interested in both of their research, but to different degrees.

Dr. A (PhD) has a small lab (4-5 ppl) and is a newish prof. His research seems super cool, and he spent an hour meeting w me which was super nice. He mentioned that being trained to use the machines to collect data would require a few months, so I wouldn’t be able to get started on a project as soon, which might be a downside. Also, not sure about being able to get pubs. He mentioned that he had some undergrads before, but short term, so I don't think they had an project to work on. I don't think he's ever had any undergrads do a project before, so I'm not sure certain I'd be able to have my own project. Also not sure about getting pubs, since I didn't see any undergrad names in the articles he's published in the past, but that might've been because they didn't have projects? He did talk about considering all students regardless of age/education level for diff opportunities, like national conferences. From my impression, he also has a pretty good pub record (ie pretty high IF journals), although I don’t know if this actually matters.

Dr. B (MD/PhD-idk if this matters) has a small-medium lab (less than 10 ppl). I’m not as interested in his research compared to the other lab, but he seems like a good mentor. Also, the research he does is somewhat similar to what I did in high school. He was always very responsive with my emails, spent time answering my questions when I talked to him, etc. I also got some general good vibes from him. He has also had undergrads in his lab from my school before, and I've emailed them asking about their experiences. I think publishing in his lab would be relatively easy based on what he told me.

Essentially, A in my mind is a bit more high risk/high reward whereas B is safer but with potentially less reward.

Sorry for the long post but thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

This is my first post here, so sorry if I mess something up lol

Bit of background: I'm a current freshman who wants to do an MD, maybeee an MD/PhD but not sure. I met with a couple PI’s to join their labs and I’m not sure which one to choose. I’m interested in both of their research, but to different degrees.

Dr. A (PhD) has a small lab (4-5 ppl) and is a newish prof. His research seems super cool, and he spent an hour meeting w me which was super nice. He mentioned that being trained to use the machines to collect data would require a few months, so I wouldn’t be able to get started on a project as soon, which might be a downside. Also, not sure about being able to get pubs. He mentioned that he had some undergrads before, but short term, so I don't think they had an project to work on. I don't think he's ever had any undergrads do a project before, so I'm not sure certain I'd be able to have my own project. Also not sure about getting pubs, since I didn't see any undergrad names in the articles he's published in the past, but that might've been because they didn't have projects? He did talk about considering all students regardless of age/education level for diff opportunities, like national conferences. From my impression, he also has a pretty good pub record (ie pretty high IF journals), although I don’t know if this actually matters.

Dr. B (MD/PhD-idk if this matters) has a small-medium lab (less than 10 ppl). I’m not as interested in his research compared to the other lab, but he seems like a good mentor. Also, the research he does is somewhat similar to what I did in high school. He was always very responsive with my emails, spent time answering my questions when I talked to him, etc. I also got some general good vibes from him. He has also had undergrads in his lab from my school before, and I've emailed them asking about their experiences. I think publishing in his lab would be relatively easy based on what he told me.

Essentially, A in my mind is a bit more high risk/high reward whereas B is safer but with potentially less reward.

Sorry for the long post but thank you!
Both sound like fantastic options, so kudos to you for being so damn proactive as a freshman! Is Dr. A or B's research clinical or bench work? I would lean to whichever is more clinical, especially if you're aiming for MD. Working with the MD/PhD could be extremely valuable not only for letters of recommendation and publications but also to give you an idea if a dual MD/PhD program is right for you. If I were in your shoes, I would opt for whichever gave me more opportunities to publish. If you end up hating the research/experience, you can gracefully find another opportunity and tuck some publications under your belt.

I'd go with option B personally. Research labs often struggle to find tasks suited for undergrads with variable time commitments. A place where there is some clear work for you to do and be productive is way better than some pie in the sky idea where you're sitting on your hands because the PI is trying stuff out.

Ultimately your pace and timetable as an undergrad might not match that of a new professor. His publication history from previous institutions does not matter. A philosophy that "undergrads can publish!" is very different from giving you the tools and support to do so.

Option B sounds like he is a good mentor, and if he is that excited to be corresponding with you he sounds like the kind of person who wants to see you succeed. You get good letters from this kind of person. If he's been around the block a few times with undergrad volunteers he (hopefully) has very clear roles for undergraduates.

The importance of mentorship can’t really be overstated, especially when you are this early in your career. If you think Dr. B will be a better mentor and you think you can tolerate his research, go with him. Sometimes mentorship >> your favorite research topic, and being a freshman is one of those times IMO.

While everyone wants a publication, I’d argue that this should not be your top priority right now. It has been stated numerous times by adcoms on this forum that research isn’t as necessary for med school as people make it out to be, and that applicants with publications are rare. A publication is the icing on the cake. At this stage the cake is a PI and colleagues who can teach you what the research process is like, let you practice some skills in the lab, offer you guidance on navigating college and med school applications, and generally be good, supportive people in your life. This is SO IMPORTANT. If you have this solid research foundation and commit sufficient time to your research, the publications will come in due time.

Reactions: 1 user