Which laptop is best?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mckensel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious which laptop(windows vs mac) that people use at scholl? i hate having to convert files over and what not. So i was curious if anyone knows what most of the teachers use. As well i was curious if people like the use of the laptop to take notes or are more people using the Ipad for its small size? Any help would be great, trying to decide which laptop to buy and or buying a ipad. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Just curious which laptop(windows vs mac) that people use at scholl? i hate having to convert files over and what not. So i was curious if anyone knows what most of the teachers use. As well i was curious if people like the use of the laptop to take notes or are more people using the Ipad for its small size? Any help would be great, trying to decide which laptop to buy and or buying a ipad. Thanks

Towards the end of my didactic years, I switched over to using the iPad in class. I felt like I had a lot of control over file annotation and it has fantastic battery life.

On the other hand, I wouldn't go into school with only an iPad. If you hate having to convert files, you won't be a fan of the iPad. There are too many functions not available on the iPad that are required such as plugin support, complete file support, etc. Really, any laptop that has a big enough hard drive and can run the microsoft office suite will keep you good to go for your time in school. I used a mac, but windows will do fine too.

Awesome thanks for the reply. Ill just look into a new laptop then. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome thanks for the reply. Ill just look into a new laptop then. Any suggestions?
i'm not a scholl student but my advice would be to get a thin, lightweight laptop that has good battery life.

my laptop has a 15.6" screen and when i have to carry it around it feels bulky/heavy. i feel like a 13-14" screen a good compromise. it's large enough to use without feeling too cramped and it's much more convenient to transport.

if cost isn't a big factor: the 13" macbook air would be a solid choice ($1100). you can probably save a couple hundred and go for an ultrabook if you like PCs. take a look at the samsung series 9 ($900).

if cost is a factor: there are many 13-14" laptops out there in the $400-$700 range. you'll be compromising quality in some way though, whether it's weight, size, processor speed, or screen quality.

I have a $400 laptop and it's been amazing. All it needs to do is run office/word and log onto the internet.

What Dyk said. If you aren't a hard core gamer then I strongly suspect anything out there will serve. Get a laptop with an HDMI so you can stream to your TV. Purchase an extra monitor for your work area so you can 2-screen it at home.

What Dyk said. If you aren't a hard core gamer then I strongly suspect anything out there will serve. Get a laptop with an HDMI so you can stream to your TV. Purchase an extra monitor for your work area so you can 2-screen it at home.

If you are a hardcore gamer, your laptop will probably look like a tank. On a serious note, while Macs are great, all you really are doing is exchanging that extra 300-400 dollars of cost to purchase the name with NO appreciable increases in strictly performance. While PCs do have a tendency to break down after several years from rough wear (tossing things into your backpack without a proper sleeve/cover), macs do have overall slightly better construction, so the shell may be stronger from an endurance standpoint.

The HumancentiPad

MacBook ftw! I have a 2009 MacBook. Just upgraded the RAM and got an external hard drive. Should be solid for the next four years of school. Unlike my Dell that didn't last 3 years of undergrad.

It's comes down to budget and personal preference. The only thing you really need to do is Microsoft Office, internet, and email. I think all schools have outlets for every computer during lecture. Battery life is only a concern if you like studying somewhere without reliable outlet access and or you hate plugging in your computer. I found myself trying to spend big bucks on a computer that could last me through a whole day, little did I know that I often spend 12+ hours at school so no matter how good the battery life is I have to bring my power cord anyway.

The one the guy uses in Independence Day that can follow the alien countdown and hack into an interstellar mother ship.