Which letters of recommendation for ERAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Belleza156

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have question on which are the optimal LOR to put for ERAS.

I have a letter from the Director of Surgery Clerkship and Director of Family Medicine clerkship ready for ERAS.

I also have three EM rotations from which I can get SLOEs from. I just started the first EM clerkship so I won't be getting any of them in time for the opening of ERAS. Obviously the SLOE are preferred, but is it better to have nonSLOE letters of recommendation in ERAS rather than not having any? Or better to wait and put SLOE as they come in from Oct - Dec?

Members don't see this ad.

I have question on which are the optimal LOR to put for ERAS.

I have a letter from the Director of Surgery Clerkship and Director of Family Medicine clerkship ready for ERAS.

I also have three EM rotations from which I can get SLOEs from. I just started the first EM clerkship so I won't be getting any of them in time for the opening of ERAS. Obviously the SLOE are preferred, but is it better to have nonSLOE letters of recommendation in ERAS rather than not having any? Or better to wait and put SLOE as they come in from Oct - Dec?
It would be much better to put those two up now than to go another 1+ month(s) without any letters at all.

It would be much better to put those two up now than to go another 1+ month(s) without any letters at all.

I agree with this. I would put up 2 letters now, and then 2 SLOEs as you get them

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in a similar-ish situation. When all is said and done I'll have 2 normal letters (Peds and IM) and 2 SLOEs. Only 1 SLOE will be ready for ERAS opening.

Do I put in 1 SLOE and 2 regular for the sake of my app looking "complete"?
Or do I do the 1 SLOE and only 1 regular so they know there's more to come and wait for the 2nd SLOE before deciding whether to add the addition regular letter?

Thanks for the responses. I'll definitely be putting two up now rather than waiting. Sound advice, thanks.

I'm in a similar-ish situation. When all is said and done I'll have 2 normal letters (Peds and IM) and 2 SLOEs. Only 1 SLOE will be ready for ERAS opening.

Do I put in 1 SLOE and 2 regular for the sake of my app looking "complete"?
Or do I do the 1 SLOE and only 1 regular so they know there's more to come and wait for the 2nd SLOE before deciding whether to add the addition regular letter?

If you have the letters ready and won't be doing more than 2 EM rotations, why wouldn't you just put up what you have into ERAS. It's another story if you are debating between 3 SLOE + 1LOR vs 2 SLOE vs 2 LOR. Because then its a tricky decision. That's where I fall, but my plan is to put 2 SLOE onto ERAS and I saw someone mention in this forum they provided the third SLOE off ERAS for programs that requested it. So I'll probably try that.