Which letters to choose?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stevvo111

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have the unfortunate (probably fortunate but we'll make it dramatic) luck to have too many letter of recs to choose from. All of my profs like me and seem to be very happy in writing strong letters for me. I have around 8-9 to choose from, all from different areas of my life that know me in a unique and different way. Unfortunately most schools would hate me if I sent all these letters, while if I didn't send some letters I fear schools would miss a component of me that might be crucial for them to understand me. Am I just overthinking this stuff or are these valid concerns?

Recently, a director for one of the university medical departments said he would love to write a letter for me after seeing me lead a project for him. I was glowing with joy upon hearing this because this guy is really cool, has seen my awesome work on a small project, and is a freaking director. Unfortunately, he does not know me too well outside of my work with him (which is scary because all of my other rec letter writers know me very well and over multiple years). I assume this lack of being close to him is related to the fact that he has incredible academic responsibilities that I couldn't even fathom at this point. But I can say his words for my drive and ability to lead projects and research appear to be strong. His name and respect also appear to carry weight from what I hear.

So my question I guess is, how much consideration should I give his letter of rec over others who might know me better but don't have the credentials (so to speak) that this doc does? And in general, how should one choose which letters to send? All of my letters are confidential, and I am not sure how great of writers they are, so it's really hard for me to gauge if their letter will be glowing or just good. It's causing some anxiety. Any help!?

Members don't see this ad.

One school asked for 9 letters.
Edit: 7