which loan to reduce -- grad plus or stafford?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentwannabe

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i know it sounds easy, i just wanted to make sure i wasn't missing anything. the guy at my bursar's office told me he wasn't sure.. he said i'd have to decide for myself. i thought this was very clear. shouldn't i reduce the grad plus loan since the stafford loan has a lower rate? I mean, its common sense right? or am i missing something?

thanks sdn.

Members don't see this ad.

Grad Plus (b/c they have higher interest rates than stafford).

thanks. just wanted to make sure i wasn't missing anything. lol shoot, $80,000 is a lot of money -- i have to double check!

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, definitely reduce the grad +. 6.8% vs. 8.5%..... that's a toughie..

jb!:)

i know it sounds easy, i just wanted to make sure i wasn't missing anything. the guy at my bursar's office told me he wasn't sure.. he said i'd have to decide for myself. i thought this was very clear. shouldn't i reduce the grad plus loan since the stafford loan has a lower rate? I mean, its common sense right? or am i missing something?

thanks sdn.

That is so easy, so that is why you are uncertain. Pay off/reduce the higher interest rate first. So, you are exactly right. Either the guy at the office A) has no idea what he is doing, or B) Has to follow some beauracratic or goverment guidelines about not giving you advice. Either way, it doesn't matter.